PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 10 - Full Metal Gear Jacket

miner2049er
20-11-09, 12:03
The November Show (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/roundup010_2009.11.htm) it out on the site and will hit iTunes any time.

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Editorial on Handhelds - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (54:00)
Victim Of The Video Arcade - (92:54)
Review of 1985: The Day After - (96:10)
iPhone Reviews - (103:34)
Guinness Gaming Records - (113:34)
Super Pacman Read Along Book - (115:07)
Top Ten Cartridge Based Handheld Games - (123:56)
The British Hour - (224:22)
We Fell In Love At The Video Arcade - (233:05)
News And Mailbag - (237:08)
URLs And EMails - (281:46)

Once again we have a shiny new podcast icon designed by our very own AndyUK.

Enjoy peeps.

Jerky
21-11-09, 01:22
I past the 90-minute mark on this month's show.

SoCal--great job on the handheld discussion. I never owned one because on Christmas or birthdays, my choice were either a handheld or an Atari cartridge. And I always went for the Atari game. I also remember going back to school after Christmas break and seeing kids bringing their handhelds to class. Since they weren't really designed to be played quietly with the clicking buttons and loud beeps, the teachers quickly confiscated them until the end of class.

I found this site were I was able to play some simulated versions of handhelds:

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/dnload.php

I played one that I always wanted to play when I was a kid--Epoch's Galaxy II. It had a docking feature like Moon Cresta.

Scott--Excellent auction infomation! This is why I backup every episode of RGR. Whenever I plan to start buying and restoring a game, I'll have plenty of info. Also, I second SoCal's suggestion of discussing the technical aspects of the handhelds. Particularly the birth of the VFD's and LCD's.

Didn't get to UK Mike's stuff yet. So no kind words for him yet!:BLEH:

miner2049er
21-11-09, 05:44
Didn't get to UK Mike's stuff yet. So no kind words for him yet!:BLEH:

I won't hold my breath. ;)

CinemaslaveJoe
21-11-09, 11:49
Another fantastic episode as usual, gents!

SoCal, thanks so much for informing us of the (wonderful!) new iPhone/iPod Touch version of TRANSYLVANIA! This was one of my favorite adventure games back in the day, and I *love* the music and scary sound effects in this new version. I downloaded the game immediately after hearing your mini-review, and I can't wait to play it some more. An excellent port that's really fun with the lights out. I sure hope we get more classic game ports. (My wish list: THE 7TH GUEST, which seems a natural choice with its point-and-click interface; MANIAC MANSION, DEFENDER OF THE CROWN, and THE BARD'S TALE.)

I loved the discussion of Tomy handheld games. (I've still got my "Blip!") This episode makes me want to start re-collecting all the old Coleco tabletop games that I used to have. My collection included Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Frogger. Never had the others, alas. And I *still* want a Donkey Kong Game & Watch. ;)

I hope "It Came From MAME!" will make a return next episode. It's one of my favorite features.

I enjoyed the Handheld Top Ten, but I might respectfully suggest the GameBoy version of DONKEY KONG as a candidate for inclusion. (Yes, another Mario game!) Unlike some of the other straight ports you discussed, this cartridge was an expansion/updating of the classic arcade game, which had the feel of the coin-op, but turned it into something new at the same time. My friends and I were *very* excited when it initially came out.

Thanks for all your hard work as usual, gang. Really enjoyable listening.

-CSJ

RetroPom
22-11-09, 12:28
I hope "It Came From MAME!" will make a return next episode. It's one of my favorite features.

-CSJ

I'll second that ! :)

Not listened to new show yet - but looking forward to it :D

miner2049er
22-11-09, 01:23
I enjoyed the Handheld Top Ten, but I might respectfully suggest the GameBoy version of DONKEY KONG as a candidate for inclusion.

Of course you may, and it is a fantastic game, one of the best on the Gameboy. You think you're getting 4 levels and it just keeps on going. I think I mentioned in an episode what an underrated game it was, it just wasn't as good as my 4 though. ;)

BydoEmpire73
22-11-09, 03:35
Ah, Mastertronic. How many hours of good, cheap fun you provided. I don't recall playing 1985, but my brother and I bought a lot of Mastertronic stuff. At the Penny's where I grew up they'd sell packs of several Mastertronic games for $4.99 or something, While there were occasionally clunkers, the quality was way, way higher than any other budget publisher. Better than a lot of full-priced games. I'd still put Kane in my top 5 c64 games, which says something since I normally have no interest in Westerns.

I agree with SoCal - Tiger's handheld games sucked. It was all about licensing and pumping out sheer quantity.

I never played it, but I do remember ads for Transylvania in computer gaming magazines back in the day. Thanks to your mention I just DL'd it and will finally get to play it after all these years!

That's as far as I've gotten in the episode so far, but great work as usual.

saberman
22-11-09, 03:37
Great show as always guys. I'm sure I say that every month :).

I think a few people have already said it but the editorial was excellent. It really brought back some old memories of those old games particularly the Tomy 3D 'binocular' games.

I missed 'It came from MAME' so I hope that makes a comeback in a future show.

The British hour was as good as ever. I love the 'I put a towel down for you' quote :).

The top ten debate was as good as ever too. I have to say I agree with So Cal Mike that 3 Mario games seemed like overkill. My vote went for 6 magic coins though.

I’m very sad that there’s no December show but thanks for what you all do it is greatly appreciated. I’m off to play Manic Miner the lost levels.

SubaruBrat
22-11-09, 04:46
We have a December show already in development, don't worry, we WILL have a show same as always.

It came from MAME will be back, Socal was playing Mrs Nude World 99 in Mame and there was an incident. When the cab comes back from the cleaners he will resume the segment.

saberman
22-11-09, 09:36
We have a December show already in development, don't worry, we WILL have a show same as always.

Cool. Although I don't understand UK's comments about no show next month then.

It came from MAME will be back, Socal was playing Mrs Nude World 99 in Mame and there was an incident. When the cab comes back from the cleaners he will resume the segment.

So Cal please review Mrs Nude World 99 in next months it came from MAME?

miner2049er
22-11-09, 09:52
Cool. Although I don't understand UK's comments about no show next month then.

Where did I say that?

Oh, and answer your PMs.

GameGavel
22-11-09, 10:34
Of course you may, and it is a fantastic game, one of the best on the Gameboy. You think you're getting 4 levels and it just keeps on going. I think I mentioned in an episode what an underrated game it was, it just wasn't as good as my 4 though. ;)

DK was a great game on the Gameboy and let's don't forget it also played on the Super Gameboy Player w/ the arcade cabinet designed into the game. This was a great game and one I still play today as well. For some reason I did forget about this game this month, or it would have taken the place of one of my top four choices. Great pick!

SubaruBrat
23-11-09, 02:20
You MUST review Mrs Nude World in MAME/\

Chris
23-11-09, 10:57
If you go to the link provided, you'll see an album of handheld electronics (and other retro electronics) that were covered in my past Retro Machine articles. I owned the V-Tech Talking Baseball (one of my favs) and had a WWF Wrestlemania Challenge which was decent.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Retro-Machine/121452225655?v=photos#/album.php?aid=155397&id=121452225655

I totally understand what you mean about Tiger Electronics. Never liked them and yes they were a bane to the industry.

SubaruBrat
23-11-09, 11:09
Be sure to submit that to the news! Nice compilation.

PoloPlayr
23-11-09, 11:32
And you deliver yet another FANTASTIC episode. Just getting better and better.

Finished my first listen-through and will enjoy it again once I hit the sack later tonight!...I know...that's what she said!

RetroPom
24-11-09, 07:16
And you deliver yet another FANTASTIC episode. Just getting better and better.

Finished my first listen-through and will enjoy it again once I hit the sack later tonight!...I know...that's what she said!

Hey! another person that listens to the show whilst dropping off.....With the missus complaining LOL

I tend to do this too - But I obviously can't listen to the whole thing in one sitting (or should that be lying?) so have to fast forward to the point I left off each time - a pain on my little mp3 - not sure about other peoples? (Would you ever consider putting the podcast out in multiple parts?).

I'm only about an hour in so far - But it's been FANTASTIC listening as always - Thanks to you all :)

miner2049er
24-11-09, 10:41
Would you ever consider putting the podcast out in multiple parts?.

Not in parts no, but I did look at putting bookmarks into the actual mp3s so that people could jump straight to each segment, but there are mixed reports with doing that.

Some say it simply doesn't work on a lot of players and others say it breaks playback completely on theirs, so publishing the timestamps is a middle ground.

There are tools out there that you can use to split the show with at the timestamps so you could do that. I intend to look into one and perhaps write a script to split the show and make the script available but as ever, time is my enemy.

The majority of people grab the show in iTunes so for us to change things drastically would break it for most of our audience.

PoloPlayr
24-11-09, 03:12
Not in parts no, but I did look at putting bookmarks into the actual mp3s so that people could jump straight to each segment, but there are mixed reports with doing that.

Some say it simply doesn't work on a lot of players and others say it breaks playback completely on theirs, so publishing the timestamps is a middle ground.

There are tools out there that you can use to split the show with at the timestamps so you could do that. I intend to look into one and perhaps write a script to split the show and make the script available but as ever, time is my enemy.

The majority of people grab the show in iTunes so for us to change things drastically would break it for most of our audience.

I'm no iPod wiz but I find it extremely easy to jump to where ever I last left off. The tag/text which is included with every podcast clearly states the timing of each segment?

miner2049er
24-11-09, 07:28
I'm no iPod wiz but I find it extremely easy to jump to where ever I last left off. The tag/text which is included with every podcast clearly states the timing of each segment?

Well, that is the majority of people, me included, although I run Rockbox on mine, unfortunately it is not everybody.

We now put out 16kb versions which are smaller as blackberries can't download the full show version and I am looking into other options for bookmarking.

PoloPlayr
24-11-09, 07:40
Well, that is the majority of people, me included, although I run Rockbox on mine, unfortunately it is not everybody.

We now put out 16kb versions which are smaller as blackberries can't download the full show version and I am looking into other options for bookmarking.

Fair enough. I just don't hope you will change the format to suit the lowest common denominator, for lack of a better analogy.

SubaruBrat
25-11-09, 02:37
I think we have pretty well stated that it is a show, not segments, and it will be distributed as such. We will try to provide usable sizes and such but the show is a complete unit.

Chris
25-11-09, 01:23
Subrarubrat, I think we've talked about this before, but I'm only a few hours away from Baltimore and really have to get to one of the Baltimore auctions sometime. It sounds like an interesting experience.

SubaruBrat
25-11-09, 02:27
Since it just went down you have a full year head start. Plenty of time to save and make plans.

PoloPlayr
25-11-09, 06:05
Your discussions in this episode's Top 10 list made me think about a potential new segment. Since some/all of you sometimes have missed some "landmark titles" back in the day, for various reasons, wouldn't it be fun to do a Classics Revisited segment? I'm specifically thinking of how you brought up that some of you have missed some old Zelda titles and Metroid, etc.

Just hook up a mic and record your very first hands-on experiences with these games. Since most of these are titles that a majority of the listeners have already played we/they can fully related to everything you experience and it would make the segment even more engrossing!

Just an idea and I am definitely not saying it should replace your classics reviews which is great for highlighting underrated/lesser known games - but Classics Revisited would add something very different to the show.

Just an idea, guys.

GameGavel
25-11-09, 06:08
Your discussions in this episode's Top 10 list made me think about a potential new segment. Since some/all of you sometimes have missed some "landmark titles" back in the day, for various reasons, wouldn't it be fun to do a Classics Revisited segment? I'm specifically thinking of how you brought up that some of you have missed some old Zelda titles and Metroid, etc.

Just hook up a mic and record your very first hands-on experiences with these games. Since most of these are titles that a majority of the listeners have already played we/they can fully related to everything you experience and it would make the segment even more engrossing!

Just an idea and I am definitely not saying it should replace your classics reviews which is great for highlighting underrated/lesser known games - but Classics Revisited would add something very different to the show.

Just an idea, guys.

Not a bad idea and UK already did this with his review of Tennis on the Dreamcast when he played it for the first time. I can review Metroid II on the Gameboy if I win it from Trog :)

PoloPlayr
25-11-09, 06:21
Not a bad idea and UK already did this with his review of Tennis on the Dreamcast when he played it for the first time. I can review Metroid II on the Gameboy if I win it from Trog :)

Exactly! Completely forgot about the Virtua Tennis review.

SubaruBrat
25-11-09, 06:48
Tell you all what, post your requests, we will divide them up and do it.

miner2049er
25-11-09, 09:58
Tell you all what, post your requests, we will divide them up and do it.

Good call, surely one of us will have missed most of what you submit.

Use the thread here (http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2173) for your submissions.

PoloPlayr
25-11-09, 10:43
Good call, surely one of us will have missed most of what you submit.

Use the thread here (http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2173) for your submissions.

Just added my first batch of ideas :)

BydoEmpire73
26-11-09, 12:05
Just my 2c, but I hate segments on podcasts where people play games and comment as they're playing. Especially if they're playing for the first time. It's slow, dull and pointless. I think doing a "classics revisited" is great, but please play the game first and then discuss later "on air." Listening to someone playing a game "live" for the podcast is worse than watching someone play...

I don't mean to sound harsh, I've just heard several different podcasts do that and it bugs me every time. I hate to say but after a few minutes I forwarded past UK Mike's Virtua Tennis segment... again, just my 2c.

jboypacman
26-11-09, 04:11
Ok just finishing up the show and great all a round as normal.

Sol Cal loved the way you started the show about all the classic hand held gaming from TOMY,Mattel,Coleco,ect. but i was left wanting more about this stuff maybe a new segment about this could be in order?

Hope "It Came From Mame" and the Swap Meet Chat will be returning for other episodes those are two of my favorite things on the podcast.

The Hardware Flashback was excellent this month Scott! Thanks for all the great advice about going to the arcade auctions.

U.K. your segment on the show always make chuckle so keep up the good work there and love hearing about games you played in your"neck of the woods" from your youth as well.

No Donkey Kong for the GameBoy in your Top 10 this month? That one is a great game and more than just a port of the arcade game plus the GBC version of Dragon's Lair is a very impressive game too it does great justice to the arcade version on a handheld.

Yup and Activision Anthology totally belongs on your guys list...Just a great collection.

Keep up the great work guys and thanks for helping out on my car rides to and from work.

njs
16-12-09, 09:10
Finally finished the show. I really enjoyed SoCal's intro on handhelds and was pleasantly surprised to hear the Microvison covered. My wife got me one awhile back and, I collected all of the games except for one. My favorites are Alien Hunter, Blockbuster and Sea Duel (which is clearly inspired by the board game Star Fleet Battles). The one cartiridge I am missing is the game Super Blockbuster which was apparently a Europe only release but, given how much I like Blockbuster is pretty high on my want list. UK Mike, how rare are these things on the other side of the pond?

Based on the discussion on this month's top 10 list, one thing is clear to me. You all have to do a ten best compilations list.

Like the other posters I missed the It Came from MAME segment and will be looking forward to it's return this month.

Nick

GameGavel
16-12-09, 09:28
Finally finished the show. I really enjoyed SoCal's intro on handhelds and was pleasantly surprised to hear the Microvison covered. My wife got me one awhile back and, I collected all of the games except for one. My favorites are Alien Hunter, Blockbuster and Sea Duel (which is clearly inspired by the board game Star Fleet Battles). The one cartiridge I am missing is the game Super Blockbuster which was apparently a Europe only release but, given how much I like Blockbuster is pretty high on my want list. UK Mike, how rare are these things on the other side of the pond?

Based on the discussion on this month's top 10 list, one thing is clear to me. You all have to do a ten best compilations list.

Like the other posters I missed the It Came from MAME segment and will be looking forward to it's return this month.

Nick

Hey Nick, glad you enjoyed the bit. And yes, Came from Mame and Mike'd up are back for Dec, which should be live any moment now :) Merry Christmans and I hope you have some good vacation time to catch up on some gaming :SN

onkelarie
22-01-11, 12:46
Consider bumping up threads a work of art (and doing a lot of catching up on listening to the show), I'd like to compliment the editorial part on handhelds and the 1985: the day after review. I enjoyed this podcast a lot. Good work!:)

GameGavel
22-01-11, 01:02
Bump all ya want and glad you liked my editorial :) Are you up to date or do you still have lots more shows to catch up no?

miner2049er
22-01-11, 01:39
I'd like to compliment the editorial part on handhelds and the 1985: the day after review.

Thanks, have you played it?