PDA

View Full Version : Gen Mobile Video Review

GameGavel
11-11-09, 09:15
Video Review of the New Gen Mobile - Licensed Sega Genesis Handheld from Hyperkin

<EMBED src=" http://www.youtube.com/v/l8mYSvJkAjM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">
</EMBED></EMBED>

SubaruBrat
12-11-09, 12:09
My Gen Mobile and Gen Core are on their way from Socal to me, and when they arrive I will be taking them into the lab for dissection and experimentation. Can't wait to play with these, they look great!

SubaruBrat
13-11-09, 12:35
OK, so I got my Gen Mobile and Gen Core today and gave them
the full teardown and lookover. I will give a full review in
the show but I will hit the high points here about the Gen Core.
The unit is far higher quality than the FCMobile and makes some
simple critical choices correctly that some units like the FC get
wrong. There is allot of quality in this unit and I think some
real modification potential.

First off as socal says in his video the thing comes in a nice
box. That normally does not mean much so long as the box
survives the trip, but for me when a retro or repro-retro unit
comes along I like to keep it on the shelf, show it off and use
it here and there. If the box and tray fall apart that really
blows. This is decent thickness fiberboard with neat magnet lid
retainers, it set the tone for what I would find inside the unit.

The glop top (Genesis on a chip, GOAC) will need some further
testing to see if it is leaning toward the I II or III Genesis
periods. I hope it is I or II era so we can explore master system
games on this thing.

High points include a Lipo battery that is 750Mah in capacity,
these are long life, easy to replace and worlds better than NIMH
batts, I was really glad to see that choice.

The cart slot was another good move. The FC mobile is nearly
useless as a mobile unit because the cartridge is poorly braced
and any movement causes a reset or lockup when the cart moves in
its slot. The Gen uses a simple plastic sleeve to secure the
cart. So, no problems there.

The case plastic is not quite GP2X quality but it won't fall
apart and it survived 3 dissasemblys today.

Most GOAC units use a Fujitsu MSP55LV128 128MBit ROM and so does
the Gen Core. Those have been dumped and modded. The Gen mobile
though uses a Spansion 529gl128n90tfir2 128Mbit FLASH IC rather
than a ROM, that means it is separate from the cart bus and
has its own flash conroller built into the glop top. I wonder if
we might be able to reflash these? Perhaps it is a big ROM that
needs a linker and all or maybe just raw ROMs? The unit's USB
looking port is in fact a USB port in fact. At least as far as
power goes. When I get time I will be digging into this.

Drawbacks. Well, the screen is bright and clear, but if only it
were larger it would be nicer, instead of having a black border
just build in a bigger screen! Now the screen is not postage
stamp sized and it very usable. I would have paid a few more
bucks for a larger screen.

To sum it up, is it worth it, oh yes!

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/IMG_1775.jpg

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/IMG_1777.jpg

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/IMG_1779.jpg

SubaruBrat
20-11-09, 07:57
So after a week of use how is it going?

Durability wise, it shot out of my jacket pocket and clattered under the wet car, minor scratch on back, works fine.

Battery wise, still on the initial charge! I have at least 4 hours use, maybe 5, and it keeps going. I will do tests on the battery life after a few charge cycles to get the battery up to nominal capacity.

No game compatibility problems to report, so far one nice handheld!

Troglodyte
20-11-09, 08:24
Durability wise, it shot out of my jacket pocket and clattered under the wet car, minor scratch on back, works fine.

Wow... talk about lucky. Let me guess... you had Sonic 2 in the cartridge slot when it jettisoned out of your jacket? Surely Tails helped glide it to safety. There can be no other plausable explanation :P

Battery wise, still on the initial charge! I have at least 4 hours use, maybe 5, and it keeps going.

So far that is more than two times more than the supposedly 2 hours the six alkaline AA batteries offered the Sega Nomad[b]. Will be curious to hear your final report on the battery life.

I was always a ([b]Super) :SNES: Nintendo fanboy and completely missed out on the Genesis generation. Still, I have always been interested in portable devices like the Sega Nomad. I'd like to see a Super Nintendo portable some day, but I plan on making one myself (like many others on the net have shown off) at some point. I have the technical no how, I just need the time and money.

I will surely be purchasing this portable, as well as it's home based counterpart in the future.
At that point, I will need some serious education on what Sega Genesis :GEN: Mega Drive
exclusive / superior ports to purchase and play.

Wait... does this thing or it's home base console have an SD Slot for ROMS?
I could have sworn I saw that somewhere, maybe they are different systems and I am confused.

SubaruBrat
20-11-09, 08:49
I read that claim about this and a few other systems, but no they do not have SD slots.

Which I really don't get. If Sega is not going to produce carts then the existing carts and the ability to find them is a sales barrier. Had they given a front door and put in a micro SD slot (which would have been crazy easy with the architecture of this unit) they would sell far more of them. What would Sega be doing, letting the secret out that ROMs exist? At least they could have issued it with undocumented ROM compatibility by using individual ROMs on the flash device and allowing it to be seen as a drive when the USB is connected. Word would spread that you could copy on ROMs and they would sell tons of these. Remember these are licensed consoles and Sega is making money, wouldn't they want to sell more?

A review of the console is coming but I will say this much now, the Mobile is a FAR superior unit. Unless you must have 2 player compatability buy the mobile and use the TV cable when you want a larger screen. If you buy the console you will really need better controllers and your better off buying a used Genesis. It isn't a bad console, and had it been shipped with better controllers it would be killer.

Oh, and about another hour of power on time has passed since my last post.
Since money is a factor I would say give yourself a nice Christmas present and get the mobile.

miner2049er
20-11-09, 10:38
Wait... does this thing or it's home base console have an SD Slot for ROMS?
I could have sworn I saw that somewhere, maybe they are different systems and I am confused.

I think that is the Gopher.

http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Cool_Stuff_Sega_Mega_Drive_Gopher.html?aff_id=24

Troglodyte
20-11-09, 12:51
If Sega is not going to produce carts then the existing carts and the ability to find them is a sales barrier...

Agreed, in addition, which you may have been getting at, they receive no income from these second hand sales of the official game cartridges. It throws away the whole "sell the (cheap / affordable) first party razor to sell the (expensive) razor blades (first party / third party games with income from royalties / licenses)".

Instead they appear to have taken the "sell the (cheap / affordable) first party razor to sell the (some rare & expensive / some cheap & common) razor blades (with no income from first party games or royalties / licenses from third party games because they are all sold second hand)".

They could have even sold more portable razors (systems) with the unofficial idea (like you hinted at) that you could have a nearly infinite amount razor blades (games) for FREE (ROMS). All while maintaining that the new shinier longer lasting portable razor system was backwards compatible with all old blades from the previously released systems.

Instead, these Future FireCore SD cartridges will more than likely be (easily hacked DRM) protected SD cartridges preloaded with licensed ROMS. This will more than likely be a short lived solution like the preloaded music SD cards from Sandisk for the Sansa series of MP3 players, and similarly the easily cracked Nokia N-Gage games before it. Ironically, one of the first N-Gage games was Sonic :SONRUN:

Heck, they could have even developed something like a secure (enough) version of the App Store / Sega Channel / Virtual Console / WiiWare / DSiWare etc for the portable, so that new developers could hop on as Sega would take in a huge cut in sales with Sega fans rejoicing the fact that their beloved company has re-entered the home and portable console war with a Trojan horse. But no, they settled for new hoofs, a simple rebranding of a horse on it's last legs.

OK, maybe that's an exageration, but they missed the boat, even though these clones, including the GenMobile are very cool, and I will probably get one at some point in the near future.

Unless you must have 2 player compatability buy the mobile and use the TV cable when you want a larger screen. If you buy the console you will really need better controllers and your better off buying a used Genesis. It isn't a bad console, and had it been shipped with better controllers it would be killer.

Except, I really like playing and collecting clone systems (arguably good / unique ones, that is) for some reason despite some of their down falls. I don't really have an interest in the old Sega hardware at this point, as I never did, and it will likely be these clones that get me into Sega in the first place, as I never owned, but have played the official Genesis and the Nomad. With that said, I will probably get a Sega clone mobile first, and then a home console (with better 1st or third party controllers).

Since money is a factor I would say give yourself a nice Christmas present and get the mobile.

Your right, I forgot that Christmas is coming up. My family has been asking me left and right what I want, but I hadn't a clue until now (other retro video game items can be sketchy because you have to practically hold their hands otherwise they get the wrong item, or they have to bid, so it hardly ever works / takes all the fun out of Christmas).

No doubt I will be purchasing (or hopefully getting for Christmas) the Gopher and / or the GenMobile at some point.

I think that is the Gopher.

Yes, that's it!

Reminds me of that old M&M's meet Santa
commercial where each of them exclaim:

Gasp....They do / He does exist
Before all of them fainting. :CHOC

Anyway, thank's so much... I have spent hours gathering a ton of information on all of these Sega clone systems, without coming across this (again). I knew I saw a 6-Button portable Sega System with built in SD card slot somewhere (and I have bought from success-hk / SuperUFO before).

I plan to do a full wright up of all the information I have found with links and images as soon as I find the time. There are literally 6+ (maybe even 10+) genesis clone systems available, so it is getting very confusing. I will link to it here once I complete it. The SNES / NES hybrid and portable NES clone consoles are also getting confusing. I have already discussed this (minus the portables) in this crazy post (http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11317). Hopefully some one else will find at least some of this useful, but if they don't, it will at least allow me to keep my head on straight and sleep soundly without trying to figure out all the idiosyncrasies regarding these crazy clones :MM

I'm still not certain if the Gopher is a real GOAC, but it is at least some sort of hybrid emulator / GOAC clone. As much as I would like to purchase from GameGavel, I am leaning towards a Sega console like this, as I am mainly a Nintendo collector, have tons of games, and might not want to have to purchase a ton of Sega Genesis games as well if there is a emulator like hardware solution available. There are honestly no other consoles (or their games) in my house (other than the Nintendo clones of course, and a Dingoo A320, which is great). But then again, I like collecting and playing video games.

Although, It would be nice if there was a home Sega clone console that supported real games via a standard cartridge slot as well (for both compatibility and choice), but it seems that a solution for that doesn't exist yet (save the arguably unconventional and expensive flash carts that appear to not accept anything via an expandable memory slot, but only via built in memory at this time) (unlike the :NES NES & :SNES:SNES PowerPaks from RetroUSB).

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions.
Now I am off to sleeping a bit and maybe working on gathering all that information into one place :SONRUN:

UPDATE: Here is my Complete List of Sega Genesis Clones (Work in progress) post (http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2159).

Troglodyte
22-11-09, 05:25
I think I have a great idea for a mod already.
Deal Extreme (dealextreme.com) recently released a 3.7V 2300mAh Replacement Battery Pack for the Dingoo A-320 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30996).
http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_30996_1.jpg
Big Deal as the Dingoo A-320 has nothing to do with the Sega Gen Mobile or Gopher and other portable clones right?

Well... maybe... but think about these two confirmed facts:

Thanks to SubaruBrat taking apart the Gen Mobile, we now know that it uses a 3.7V 750mAh Li-Ion battery.
This Gen Mobile's battery as well as Dingoo A-320's battery are rated at 3.7V.

In addition, the Dingoo A-320 has the following Dimensions:
125 × 55.5 × 14mm) / (4.92in x 2.17in x 0.59in)

While the Gen Mobile is undoubtedly somewhat larger, is it large enough to accommodate the Replacement Battery Pack for the Dingoo A-320, I'm not certain as I do not know the Dimensions of the Gen Mobile, but I would assume that it would without too much trouble.

Having had an actual Sega Nomad in my hands, knowing that it is arguably big, the Gen Mobile is probably somewhere in between the size of the Nomad and the Dingoo A-320.

The other great thing about the 3.7V 2300mAh Replacement Battery Pack for the Dingoo A-320 is that it is only $8.93 with FREE SHIPPING.

For certain I will be trying this mode when I get the money.
Heck, if it doesn't work I will just upgrade the original battery in my Dingoo A-320.

So it looks as if the Gen Mobile original battery lasts about 5-8 hours.
If it is replaced with the 3.7V 2300mAh Replacement Battery Pack for the Dingoo A-320, it looks like, at least in theory, that it will last 32.6% longer or approx. a whopping 15 and a half - 25 hours.

SubaruBrat
22-11-09, 05:48
Without having it on hand to put a caliper on it I doubt it would fit. I use those in model airplanes in 3 and 4 cell stacks and they tend to be closer to 1/4 thick and the battery in the Gen Mobile is about 1/8 thick, there is not room for any thicker of a battery.

Troglodyte
22-11-09, 06:11
Without having it on hand to put a caliper on it I doubt it would fit.

Bummer, well it wouldn't cost me much to try it anyway eventually,
as if it doesn't work, I can always swap out the original Dingoo A-320's with it.

Thanks for the info.

SubaruBrat
25-11-09, 03:24
Battery life tests with carts installed were conducted. The average battery life with single ROM carts through multiple ROM carts such as Beyond Oasis, high chip count carts such as Madden 93' and a few random carts not disassembled to determine ROM count fell within a narrow spectrum.

Minimum battery life was 7.1 hours with Madden 93'

Maximum was 7.5 hours with Columns

Median time was 7.25 hours

And for whatever reason mode was 7.22 hours

Testing with no cart installed is going to be done soon.

leathco
03-12-09, 02:02
Just a few questions:

On gamegavel, will the Gen Mobiles (and FC Mobile 2) remain up for awhile? I'd like to pick up these, but prolly wont be able to til after Christmas.

How is the output quality to a TV? I have an FC Mobile 1 and while it worked (it only lasted a couple weeks and now won't load carts for some reason, just a white screen), the colors were off. Oddly enough, my FC3+ seems to output almost perfect to my NES 2.

And...is there a handheld SNES out there?

GameGavel
03-12-09, 02:09
Just a few questions:

On gamegavel, will the Gen Mobiles (and FC Mobile 2) remain up for awhile? I'd like to pick up these, but prolly wont be able to til after Christmas.

How is the output quality to a TV? I have an FC Mobile 1 and while it worked (it only lasted a couple weeks and now won't load carts for some reason, just a white screen), the colors were off. Oddly enough, my FC3+ seems to output almost perfect to my NES 2.

And...is there a handheld SNES out there?

GameGavel will have these both for sale indefinitely so you can pick one up anytime :) As far as Gen Mobile is concerned I thought TV output was perfect. But really have only been playing it as a handheld since getting it. Only had it hooked to TV for a short time. Scott will chime in on this I am sure and I think he will have an extensive review of the Gen Mobile in the December podcast.

SubaruBrat
03-12-09, 02:24
January actually, and yes I dive into the mobile and core units.

Troglodyte
03-12-09, 02:37
:SNES:
is there a handheld SNES out there?

Not at this time, unless you consider the various homemade custom portable SNES systems that people have created.
I plan on making my own at some point out of a Retro Duo, now that they are available, since the motherboard is much smaller.

leathco
03-12-09, 03:02
Damn you all are fast!

Anyhow yea I'll be buying both of those handhelds, especially since I can't seem to get my FC Mobile 1 to read games anymore. Was the pin connector in that thin crappy or is it a different problem?

Just now getting around to listening to the rest of the November podcast, prolly tackle UKMikes bonus one tomorrow.

Shame about the no SNES handheld. I don't have the knowhow to do one on my own. Also sucks that the only handheld NES is made by Yobo, as I'm not a huge fan of their products. I do have an FC3+ in the living room for convenience, but the controller is horrible, button mapping is way off, and the spring on the dust cover for the NES part already snapped. Hoping someone starts throwing out high quality clones soon.

Oh well, my original consoles all still work.

SubaruBrat
03-12-09, 03:23
I think N is a fool for not releasing retro handhelds. They would sell well and could be farmed out to proven handheld producers like the Gen Mobile was.

To answer your question about the FC1 cart issue, I am surprised it ever read one. I am shocked that mine ever read them and still does. The problem is there is just a bare 72 pin connector of dubious quality. There is no guide to hold the cart so the connector is the sole guide. The cart is loose and can be moved so that any movement can create an intermittent connection and cause a reset or lockup. I can gently shake mine and it locks up. Just a really cheap design.

leathco
03-12-09, 07:18
I think N is a fool for not releasing retro handhelds. They would sell well and could be farmed out to proven handheld producers like the Gen Mobile was.

To answer your question about the FC1 cart issue, I am surprised it ever read one. I am shocked that mine ever read them and still does. The problem is there is just a bare 72 pin connector of dubious quality. There is no guide to hold the cart so the connector is the sole guide. The cart is loose and can be moved so that any movement can create an intermittent connection and cause a reset or lockup. I can gently shake mine and it locks up. Just a really cheap design.

Thanks for the info man....I was wondering of the quality when I bought it...seemed a lil flaky. Is the FC Mobile 2 any better at all? I know its odd wanting a good handheld NES when so many good emulators exist for numerous handhelds, but there's always something cool about using the original cart.

Also, my wife accedentally busted my screen on my Dingoo A320 and I can't find a replacement screen anywhere, so I'm kinda holding out for the Pandoras eventual release. Til than I'm kinda collecting these cart-based retro handhelds.

Troglodyte
11-12-09, 06:23
Just found two new videos showing the Gen Mobile, so I thought I would share:

GenMobile Review by ReviewTechUSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6B6o5w6Rg)
GenMobile Playtest - Portable Mega Drive Console

leathco
21-12-09, 02:49
A note (got mine from Socal, yay!)

It seems that locked-on games don't work properly. For example, if you lock on Sonic and Knuckles with Sonic 3, it boots like you only have Sonic and Knuckles in without the Sonic 3 cart. This isn't a problem with the carts, as I use the same ones on my Genesis/CD/32X unit as well as my FC3+. Same problem with the game genie, after the code input screen it goes straight back to the Codemasters boot screen.

Ob the positive side, all imports seem to work. I've got a couple from Europe (Mega Drive? No, no, no, it's Genesis. Silly people! (lol I am playing guys!)) and one Japanese cart and all of them work flawlessly, although the Japanese cart is a tight fit.

GameGavel
21-12-09, 04:02
A note (got mine from Socal, yay!)

It seems that locked-on games don't work properly. For example, if you lock on Sonic and Knuckles with Sonic 3, it boots like you only have Sonic and Knuckles in without the Sonic 3 cart. This isn't a problem with the carts, as I use the same ones on my Genesis/CD/32X unit as well as my FC3+. Same problem with the game genie, after the code input screen it goes straight back to the Codemasters boot screen.

Ob the positive side, all imports seem to work. I've got a couple from Europe (Mega Drive? No, no, no, it's Genesis. Silly people! (lol I am playing guys!)) and one Japanese cart and all of them work flawlessly, although the Japanese cart is a tight fit.

All I can say is, try and be gentle when you insert and remove carts :)

leathco
22-12-09, 04:41
All I can say is, try and be gentle when you insert and remove carts :)

I usually start gentle, but get rougher as time goes by.....:DKB