PDA

View Full Version : Rg Roundup Contest = FREE STUFF

GameGavel
06-11-09, 05:21
Yesterday UK, Scotty and I taped our top-10 Best Games for a Handheld System for our upcoming November podcast. Obviously, as usual we were arguing, and had some good debate. One of our picks, mine actually, was QWAK for the GameBoy Advance. QWAK was a great oldschool Amiga game and it has been brought back to life on the GBA by it's creator, Jamie Woodhouse, a couple years ago.

http://www.qwak.co.uk/

http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/gba/review.php

This cart was manufactured in limited quantites and it appears he still has some left. So we decided we would offer up two of these cartridges to our listeners.

So here is the simple contest, the two winners will be decided on by the four of us (Flare, you will have a say too) and you will receive some great portable gaming goodness and be the proud new owners of QWAK, one of our top-10 handheld system games.

To enter: Please take a picture of your most prized gaming item in your collection. It doesn't have to be your rarest item by any means. And tell us why that particular item means so much. Post the photo and your explanation in this thread and we will announce a winner over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.

Now let's see what you got! There will be two QWAK Prize Packages awarded.

BydoEmpire73
06-11-09, 06:34
Very cool, thanks guys! I'll have to think about this one...

daywalker2k2
07-11-09, 01:48
Working on one..let me think..will be posting soon!!!

SubaruBrat
07-11-09, 02:52
I just want to back up Socal on this, it can be anything. If you have a 2600 with a combat cart or a NES with a Mario Duck Hunt cart and you compel us you WIN. It is about passion for the games not the dollar value or rarity.

IG-88
08-11-09, 01:37
I cant put a dollar amount on the wonderful times my son Ryker and I have had playing these little bartops. They are not collectible or rare or anything but the joy we have had with them is priceless. He loves the old classic arcade games and just reliving them through him is so cool! Even his mother has noticed how these have brought us closer together.

GameGavel
08-11-09, 01:39
I cant put a dollar amount on the wonderful times my son Ryker and I have had playing these little bartops. They are not collectible or rare or anything but the joy we have had with them is priceless. He loves the old classic arcade games and just reliving them through him is so cool! Even his mother has noticed how these have brought us closer together.

Love the Husker bartop! I am from Omaha :)

SubaruBrat
08-11-09, 01:41
Did you build those, are they MAME, fill us in!

IG-88
08-11-09, 06:17
Ya I built both. The Husker bartop last summer and the other one this spring. They are both running Mame v.55 on a DOS setup with very ancient hardware. Darned near everything in them is reused. From the wood to the old PC monitors, computers, joys and buttons.The original (red) is for horizontal games and the newer one is for vertical games. As so often happens once they are up and playable getting them finished becomes a problem. :)

I'll still have a little to do on the Husker one and alot obviously on the second. Honestly tho I can't get Ryker off of them long enough to work on them!! If we let him, he'd play on them all day. He'll even get up early before preschool and go play. He's getting pretty good at some of them too for a 4yr old!!

You probably don't remember me SoCal but we met at CAX. I was the second one to buy raffle tickets from ya, Dana from Lincoln.

readboy
12-11-09, 09:43
Easy one this, a copy of NES Mario Brothers signed by Shigeru Miyamoto. I'll post a pic of it later.

BydoEmpire73
12-11-09, 05:14
Easy one this, a copy of NES Mario Brothers signed by Shigeru Miyamoto. I'll post a pic of it later.Niiiiiice. Frame that sucker and hold onto it.

readboy
12-11-09, 08:45
As promised here's a pic of the Miyamoto signed Mario Bros cart.

I met him at the Oxford Street Virgin Megastore in London on the 3rd of May 2003.
He did a signing session to promote the launch of the Legend of Zelda The Windwaker.

My wife and I travelled 3 hours each way on the train to get to London and we waited 3 hours in a queue to see the great man.
Although I have to say the time went pretty fast as there were plenty of multiplayer DS action to join in with.

BydoEmpire73
13-11-09, 01:27
I was considering two items, but I went with this one since it's not lost in a box somewhere in my coset and I actually have pics:

A white "EA Games" model Xbox. Only a few hundred were made to commemorate EA supporting Xbox Live. I was on the dev team to make that happen and was given one at the end of the project. Say what you will about Microsoft or EA, but it was very cool of Microsoft to make these and give them away; and it was very cool of EA to give some of them to the grunts that actually did the work, not just the managers or marketing higher ups. I chose this because of the blood, sweat and tears that project represented. It felt like being hit by a truck. I've never worked harder in my life - six months of ridiculously long hours, but I learned an awful lot and it was a very impactful moment in my career. Like running a marathon - you're tired and sore, but you now know what you can achieve.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9550/xbox4jn7.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3816/xbox3or0.jpg

leathco
13-11-09, 03:51
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.add49e5bdd.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?add49e5bdd.jpg)

Well, first off would be my son. Seriously, he is always player two in any multiplayer games I play from Turtles in Time Reshelled to ....well, Action 52 on the Genesis!

I actually like that game, which a lot of people compare to fecal matter in cartridge form. Sure, it's not the quality of a standard Genesis game, but many of the games on it remind me of early arcade style gameplay. And most of the games are playable, unlike the NES version (which I also own).

Definately my two most prized possessions in that pic....my son is more than a prized gaming possession of course, but he falls in that category too, as he's an avid gamer like me. Both retro and current. I put a Dreamcast in his room with a bunch of games and some emulators on disc. He's always got the NES disc in there.

BydoEmpire73
13-11-09, 06:56
Hah, that's great, leathco.

miner2049er
13-11-09, 07:36
Some great entries so far, but are they winners?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

leathco
13-11-09, 09:15
Some great entries so far, but are they winners?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So far that signed Mario Bros. by Shiguru is my fave....I'd love to just meet the man, and he got to meet the man PLUS have him sign an integral piece of console history! I swear, almost any game he makes is gold.

retrocollect-2008
16-11-09, 12:14
Oh Bollocks!

That'll be a no then ;)

njs
17-11-09, 05:02
I just wanted to chime in and say that QWAK is an awesome game. I got a copy back when it was mentioned on Retrogaming Radio.

As far as my favorite piece of gaming hardware goes, that would have to be my Battlezone arcade game. It's one of the two games that I am good enough at that I can play until I get bored. It's actually very theraputic to be able to jump into a world where I am in complete control, since that is not a feature of real life.

Nick

GameGavel
17-11-09, 05:30
I just wanted to chime in and say that QWAK is an awesome game. I got a copy back when it was mentioned on Retrogaming Radio.

As far as my favorite piece of gaming hardware goes, that would have to be my Battlezone arcade game. It's one of the two games that I am good enough at that I can play until I get bored. It's actually very theraputic to be able to jump into a world where I am in complete control, since that is not a feature of real life.

Nick

I feel the same way about my Battlezone as well. In some crazy way, you are in that environement. It is feeling you really don't get in any other game and that is why it is so great. I, however, am not that good at it. What is your trick? Maybe I am to impatient. If a tank appears behind me I try to get it vs. maybe just moving forward until it dissappears. I would love to hear your strategy :)

daywalker2k2
20-11-09, 06:21
Took awhile..but now i got it..to me is this..lunar for the ps1..this is is the first time that i was like..wait all that stuff..that is way too cool, i got to have it...without even reading the reviews i preorder it..way before anybody heard of this game..and then i got the game..and this game..wow..it is till to this day one of my fave rpg of all time..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Daywalker2k2/lunar.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Daywalker2k2/lunar2.jpg

I mean come on..even till this day when i listen to this..it brings a grown man to this knees..and cries..well maybe that is me here is the clip i am talking about..so beautiful lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIURTJKek0

miner2049er
29-11-09, 01:40
COme on Peeps, can anybody beat what's already been posted up?

We will be deciding the winner this week for announcement in the December Show so yu have just a few days left to enter.

What is your collection's centre piece and why?

Jerky
29-11-09, 01:01
That game is mine, bitches! :FLIPOFF:

http://mysite.verizon.net/tielli/player.jpg

GameGavel
11-12-09, 09:33
We are going to give everyone a couple more weeks to get their entries into the "Most prized gaming possession" contest to win one of two GBA games - Q.W.A.K.

So you have until the end of the year to get in your submission if you haven't already. We will pick a winner and announce it in the forums and also in the January 2010 RetroGamingRoundup podcast.

Troglodyte
11-12-09, 10:27
That game is mine, bitches!

I still need to get my hands on one of those.
It has a Famicom or NES cartridge port on the
underside of the controller, correct?

Jerky
12-12-09, 07:10
It has a Famicom or NES cartridge port on the
underside of the controller, correct?

That's correct. But since I don't have any NES carts, I never tested it out. My classic video-game collection is pretty much non-existent.

Troglodyte
12-12-09, 07:41
That's correct. But since I don't have any NES carts, I never tested it out.

Wait, so are you saying it is a Famicom or a :NES NES cartridge slot?
I'm confused :MM

Jerky
13-12-09, 05:41
Sorry, the phrasing of your question was a bit off...

It looks like the slot is for Famicom games. It's seems smaller than an NES cart.

I bought mine at a mall about 4 or 5 years ago for $40. Last year, I saw a guy at a local flea-market selling these for $15 a piece.

retrocollect-2008
14-12-09, 10:40
they are japanese famicon slot - i have one although minus the gun and a different controller - But he slot is famicom although I have never had a famicom game to try it with. Our UK nes games look and are the same size as the US one's.

GameGavel
19-01-10, 09:43
And the TWO WINNERS are . . . . .

Well, you are going to have to wait and listen to the upcoming January 2010 podcast to find out :LD

leathco
20-01-10, 05:10
And the TWO WINNERS are . . . . .

Well, you are going to have to wait and listen to the upcoming January 2010 podcast to find out :LD

Those are weird forum user names.......

Seriously, can't wait for the new podcast! Especially Scotts thoughts on the Gen Mobile.

Troglodyte
20-01-10, 05:14
Seriously, can't wait for the new podcast!
Me either... but I think I might be a bit behind.
I have been way too busy listing, selling,
packaging and shipping stuff lol

It is getting a bit crazy for a "one man show" :MM

GameGavel
28-01-10, 03:49

WINNER !

Go Big Red!

GameGavel
28-01-10, 03:50
as promised here's a pic of the miyamoto signed mario bros cart.

I met him at the oxford street virgin megastore in london on the 3rd of may 2003.
He did a signing session to promote the launch of the legend of zelda the windwaker.

My wife and i travelled 3 hours each way on the train to get to london and we waited 3 hours in a queue to see the great man.
Although i have to say the time went pretty fast as there were plenty of multiplayer ds action to join in with.

:RY
winner!

leathco
28-01-10, 09:03
Congrats to the winners!

SubaruBrat
28-01-10, 01:08
We loved all the entries, the serious and the joking, it was not an easy choice, we look forward to doing this again!

miner2049er
28-01-10, 01:28
PM Me your address details and we'll get your prizes off to you.

I need an email address for you both too as there is a supplementary prize in addition to the GBA cart, Jamie has been good enough to throw in PC/Mac versions too but he will need to send you the keys for them.

Thanks, and well done.

IG-88
28-01-10, 09:24
WOW! Thanks alot guys! I was totally shocked that we won this!

Ryker & I are still playing everyday. In fact he is playing Mr.Do as I type. He is getting pretty good at it too if I say so myself. I wish you could see how excited he gets when a diamond pops up. It makes me laugh out loud :)

Were going to Disney World in a month. They have a classic arcade at Disney Quest I guess. Can't wait for him to actually get to try some of these on the original machines! I'll post some pics of us when we get back.

Thanks again, that was really nice!

Dana & Ryker

BydoEmpire73
29-01-10, 01:00
Congrats, man, that's great!

miner2049er
07-02-10, 10:12
I posted out the carts to the winners. The UK one I sent direct and the US one is part of a package I sent to Scott so when he gets through the snow to his house it may be there for him to send on.

You should both have been emailed the key for the PC version you also won. If you haven't or there is a problem let me know and I will follow it up.

readboy
09-02-10, 08:40
Thanks Mike, QWAK has arrived and it plays very nicely on the GBA, very smooth graphics and hectic gameplay. I've also got the PC version installed but not had much time to give it a good go as yet.

SubaruBrat
09-02-10, 10:01
I have yet to tunnel to the mail box but I anticipate the arrival.