PDA

View Full Version : October 09 Podcast LIVE! Discuss the show right here.

miner2049er
21-10-09, 09:30
RoundUp 009 - Putting The Willies Up You

1. Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
2. Mic'd Up - (19:36)
3. Guinness Gaming Records - (46:24)
4. Reviews - (49:05)
5. Robin Mihara Interview - (54:01)
6. Star Raiders Read Along Book - (63:09)
7. Top Ten Horror Themed Games - (70:52)
8. Review Of Friday 13th - (179:17)
9. Mario Kart Love Song - (202:06)
10. Tech Questions - (204:51)
11. The British Hour - (225:20)
12. 8bit Adventurers Interview - (233:31)
13. It Came From MAME - (281:58)
14. News And Mailbag - (287:50)
15. Gaming Expos - (346:25)
16. URLS And Emails - (347:35)

We have a new spooky podcast icon too. Don't get too scared now will you.

Shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm)

Spooky Icon (http://libsyn.com/podcasts/retrogamingroundup/images/RGRoundUp_01_300_horror.jpg)

RedWolfJC
22-10-09, 02:37
Wow, SoCal and SubaruBrat using the term "MegaDrive" and Miner2049er using "Genesis"
Scary days indeed...
:GEN:

About halfway thru but Great so far...

GameGavel
22-10-09, 03:27
Wow, SoCal and SubaruBrat using the term "MegaDrive" and Miner2049er using "Genesis"
Scary days indeed...
:GEN:

About halfway thru but Great so far...

You noticed :)

CinemaslaveJoe
23-10-09, 05:03
I picked up on it too, but didn't want to comment, lest the polarity of the neutron flow be permanently reversed. (There's a possibility I've been watching too much Doctor Who lately, so take anything I say with a TARDIS full of salt.)

-CSJ

SubaruBrat
23-10-09, 05:07
We once crossed our streams, the wive's were very upset and not at all amused.......

alyinsanfran
23-10-09, 06:49
Excellent show again guys. You're really settling into the job well, it's a good rapport between you.

I reckon the CraigsList idea is a pearler. There's so much tat on that site that you'd have no problems filling a segment.

And hey SoCal, keep up that mic'd up segment. Even when you're only seeing snes carts it's still neat to listen to. It's kind of a vicarious thing - we hear what you're shuffling through, and simutaneously wonder if you'll find gold behind the rubbish.

I liked the Hardware Horrors segment too - great stories there Scott. Throw the odd one in like that if you think of it, I'm sure you've got all sorts of anecdotes from your rebuilds.

Great stuff all around, already looking forward to the next one.

Foo
23-10-09, 09:29
Hi guys great show again. I heard you saying there where some people moaning about the lenght of the show ,i think a five to six hour show is awesome perfect for listening to at work etc(dont shorten it).how did you guys meet?

GameGavel
23-10-09, 10:26
Hi guys great show again. I heard you saying there where some people moaning about the lenght of the show ,i think a five to six hour show is awesome perfect for listening to at work etc(dont shorten it).how did you guys meet?

We all (including our Producer Flare from Mexico) actually hooked up over at the retrogamingradio.com forums. I met Scott at CGE 2007 (not sure if he remember me from then). However, since that we all have never met in person.

UK is visiting Florida with his family in the coming months so perhaps Scott might try and hook up with him. Otherwise UK thinks sometime in 2010 he may be coming to Las Vegas in which case Scott and I will meet him out there.

For now it is really enjoyable taping our segments together. We all share a passion for gaming and have grown up with different aspects of it so it's always interesting to hear their take on things and their gaming history.

ScottAwesome
27-10-09, 07:06
It never even occurred to me that you guys had never met up in person before, you guys shoot the KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM! like old buddies that have been hanging out for years! It's really cool how well you guys mix. If you guys meet up in Vegas you gotta tape a bunch of stuff for the show. I can just imagine you guys road tripping to Funspot or something like that (of course the reality of jobs, families, and transatlantic flight might slow that idea down a bit). Again, I am loving the show, and thanks for the shoutout at the end of the October show!

Chris
27-10-09, 01:29
Finished the show up, great job guys!

Loved hearing a Revenge of the Gator reference, that was my favorite pinball game on the Gameboy back in the day (and i think it was one of the first Gameboy titles if I remember correctly).

You know, as horror games go, Pinball of the Dead on the GBA was a fantastic one.

saberman
27-10-09, 02:23
Great show as always guys. All the horror references and sound clips gave it a great atmosphere. I loved Scott’s rendition of So Cal Mike’s spider based struggle with homosexuality and heterosexuality :). Quote of the show has to be ‘I nailed him and soaked him…’

The British hour was as great as ever but I’m surprised that UK Mike didn’t mention tailless cats. I can’t wait for the one from Liverpool. Although if that will be next year I take it there’ll be no December podcast :( ?

Last but not least the 8bit Adventurers Interview was excellent. I wish those guys every luck in their quest. It made me realize how few games I’ve actually completed myself.

GameGavel
27-10-09, 03:20
Finished the show up, great job guys!

Loved hearing a Revenge of the Gator reference, that was my favorite pinball game on the Gameboy back in the day (and i think it was one of the first Gameboy titles if I remember correctly).

You know, as horror games go, Pinball of the Dead on the GBA was a fantastic one.

You're right. Pinball of the Dead is a great one. Never even thought of that game.

ScottAwesome
29-10-09, 10:39
Is anybody else planning on taking up Scott's request to isolate some choice SoCal audio bits from the October show for a bit of editing fun? I plan on submitting something to Scott for a few giggles.....:DKB

GameGavel
29-10-09, 11:04
Is anybody else planning on taking up Scott's request to isolate some choice SoCal audio bits from the October show for a bit of editing fun? I plan on submitting something to Scott for a few giggles.....:DKB

Hey now :DLOOK:

ScottAwesome
29-10-09, 11:30
Nothin' but love for you SoCal, you are the best, but you did leave a few nuggets in the October show that are just begging to be used out of context ;)
:SM

GameGavel
29-10-09, 11:35
Nothin' but love for you SoCal, you are the best, but you did leave a few nuggets in the October show that are just begging to be used out of context ;)
:SM

Well, you better get to it and beat UK to the punch then. He is always taking my comments out of context and storing them for use in various places. And for the record, I am not gay :)

SubaruBrat
30-10-09, 01:36
Bottom line is the entire RGRUP staff is happily married but throwing us under the bus and making the right ATM jokes is what we are all about.

ScottAwesome
30-10-09, 06:51
Oh I know that marks and drops are all in good fun, I have been listening to a (sports) radio station in Dallas for years that is about 10% sports and 90% comedy/guys throwing each other under the bus. I think they were one of the first stations to "pull back the curtain" on the radio biz, they will try to lure each other into audio mishaps, then announce "mark that!" on air, and then happily play "drops" (out of context clips, ill-timed of course) during other people's segments, during interviews, etc. It's great fun. Whatever I submit I am sure UK has already made some cooler edits, but I'll give it a try :)
Rock on, guys!
:SAM:

saberman
30-10-09, 06:05
Did anyone else really like the Mario Kart love song? Can you get that as an MP3 on its own?

miner2049er
30-10-09, 11:50
I can’t wait for the one from Liverpool. Although if that will be next year I take it there’ll be no December podcast :( ?

Rest assured there will be and we have a special British Hour for you.

Last but not least the 8bit Adventurers Interview was excellent. I wish those guys every luck in their quest. It made me realize how few games I’ve actually completed myself.

I think that interview went great. I was pretty drunk when we did it and I didn't hook up the connectors properly so there was a lot of background noise on it originally.

When I cleaned it up it made me sound a little like a Darlek, but the banter was good and it sounded like we were all long time buddies, and hey, they didn't even mind when we asked if they were gay!*

They're not.

saberman
31-10-09, 12:37
Rest assured there will be and we have a special British Hour for you.

Hurray :).

I think that interview went great. I was pretty drunk when we did it and I didn't hook up the connectors properly so there was a lot of background noise on it originally.

I agree the interview was terrific. It didn’t come across you were drunk although it often does in the top 10 debates.

SubaruBrat
01-11-09, 03:58
Who us? Never.

BydoEmpire73
05-11-09, 04:21
I'm really digging the interview with the 8 Bit Adventurers. I love interviews w/ classic gaming programmers and the like, but we rarely hear interviews with people involved in the modern classic gaming scene. Very cool.

GameGavel
05-11-09, 04:34
I'm really digging the interview with the 8 Bit Adventurers. I love interviews w/ classic gaming programmers and the like, but we rarely hear interviews with people involved in the modern classic gaming scene. Very cool.

Ya, they are really dedicated to doing beating all the NES games. I hope they can keep it up through the years.

BydoEmpire73
07-11-09, 03:41
Hey Scott, which Touchmaster machine did you get? One of the 1000 series or the Infinity?

SubaruBrat
07-11-09, 03:53
Infinity touchmaster Playboy edition. Love it! I was at auction on Sat and lingered over a Ion flat screen and it didn't compel me to replace the Infinity. Perhaps it has something to do with its affinity to the era that Pinball 2k and the end of Williams and Bally.

niftyifty
16-11-09, 07:54
Morning from wet and wild Lincoln, UK :-)
Just like to say what a GREAT show again guys - really liked the horror samples in the background and the top 10 segment was superb!

I would take heart from the fact that people like me (who hardly ever post!) feel compelled to post when they hear such passion for retrogaming from you guys. Don't worry about the naysayers and the do-gooders who give out the little bitchy comments heh heh. I would like to say to them they should try and do a show that is 10% as good as yours and see where they get... There is clearly alot of passion in this show and for people to say "it needs more polish etc" is a bit uncalled for, I love it the way it is :-)

All the best and I'll be eagerly tuning into next months show. I was also wondering if you're thinking about doing a segment on emulation as this is how i get alot of my retrogaming fix these days. I use a mod chipped XBOX with a 700GB HD that stores all my Emus and XBOX games. I find this is a good compromise without having my classic consoles being trashed by the kids LOL...

All the best and I hope your show goes from strength to strength :-)

miner2049er
16-11-09, 11:24

Greetings.

Just like to say what a GREAT show again guys - really liked the horror samples in the background and the top 10 segment was superb!

Thank you.

I would take heart from the fact that people like me (who hardly ever post!) feel compelled to post when they hear such passion for retrogaming from you guys.

Thanks again, don't make this your last post.

I was also wondering if you're thinking about doing a segment on emulation as this is how i get alot of my retrogaming fix these days. I use a mod chipped XBOX with a 700GB HD that stores all my Emus and XBOX games. I find this is a good compromise without having my classic consoles being trashed by the kids LOL...

I have an Editorial segment that covers some of that subject to introduce it into the mix and from there we will do some further Editorials that will expand on it.

Mine will run sometime early in the New Year perhaps January or February. The subject that always get attached to that is Piracy and we did do a group Editorial on that already way back in March (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/roundup002_2009.03.htm). If you haven't already heard it go back and catch that for some background.

GameGavel
16-11-09, 03:36

I would take heart from the fact that people like me (who hardly ever post!) feel compelled to post when they hear such passion for retrogaming from you guys. Don't worry about the naysayers and the do-gooders who give out the little bitchy comments heh heh. I would like to say to them they should try and do a show that is 10% as good as yours and see where they get... There is clearly alot of passion in this show and for people to say "it needs more polish etc" is a bit uncalled for, I love it the way it is :-)

All the best and I'll be eagerly tuning into next months show. I was also wondering if you're thinking about doing a segment on emulation as this is how i get alot of my retrogaming fix these days. I use a mod chipped XBOX with a 700GB HD that stores all my Emus and XBOX games. I find this is a good compromise without having my classic consoles being trashed by the kids LOL...

All the best and I hope your show goes from strength to strength :-)

Thanks for the post and so glad you are enjoying the show. Hope to see you continue poking around the forums. :PH

RetroPom
17-11-09, 09:16
Mine will run sometime early in the New Year perhaps January or February. The subject that always get attached to that is Piracy and we did do a group Editorial on that already way back in March (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/roundup002_2009.03.htm). If you haven't already heard it go back and catch that for some background.

Seems that the 'Big P' issue is going to come up more and more as the IP owners try and parlay their old properties into hard CA$H.

On the Emulation front I'd love to see some content on VP (or FP at a push) - Maybe some interviews with those Fantastic People that've built some of the tables out there - Pacdude, JP Salas, Destruk, Groni, et al (Anyone who's not tried VP must give it a go - there's a go community around the whole PB Emu scene too :) )

Andy/HOW/PiNZ

miner2049er
17-11-09, 11:36
On the Emulation front I'd love to see some content on VP (or FP at a push)

VP is how I play all my pinball at the moment.

Oh, and BTW, you spelt POM wrong, it's POHM. ;) LOL

RetroPom
21-11-09, 03:06
You got me - What's POHM stand for????

On the VP front it's gotta be said it's a superb piece of emulation.

Though I have a lot of time for MAME - and appreciate the work that goes into emulating those original ROMs - I'm amazed by, and very grateful for, the people that have recreated such great approximations of all those classic tables of days gone by - It's a great feat, and I think VP does provide a good introduction to 'real' pinball.

When I was back in the UK I had no real tables to play - but found and installed VP to replay the classics I remembered from my youth - Addams Family, The Getaway, Kings of Steel, Tales of the Arabian Nights, etc.

But now I've discovered real table I'm playing them - Jut as you yourself played that Shrek when you saw it on location.

I've gone back into the history of Pinball with books, films (yes - the Excellent 'Tilt'), the Web - 'Pinball News' and 'IPDB' especially, and podcasts - both Rob Craig's 'Silverball Podcast' and Clay (Shaggy) Harrell's 'Topcast' (both on iTunes and fantastic). And VP means when they discuss Firepower, Black Knight, Whitewater, etc. you can boot it up - get a feel.

Talk Scott into loosening up his attitude to Virtual Pinball and doing a segment together.

I thought you could mention a table or two/and the best VP equivilants at the end for people to seek out and play over the month - and then do an indepth look at their history the following show for instance.

RetroPOHM (?)

miner2049er
21-11-09, 11:44
You got me - What's POHM stand for????

Most UK citizens living down under were historically exiled prisoners or their offspring, so the Ozzies referred to them as POHMs which stands for Prisoner Of Her Majesty.

Urban Dictionary, as is so often the case, puts it much more succintly than myself.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pohm