PDA

View Full Version : Games you didn't play back in the day - but love now!

GameGavel
04-10-09, 11:46
Anyone simply bypass some games back in the day and then end up loving the game now? What games fall into this category for you?

For me I never played Tron, Tutankham, Donkey Kong and I love playing them today. I am sure there were many others so I will add them here as I think of them.

Mmmbacon
05-10-09, 01:18
Two for me definitely fall into this category, Defender and Moon Patrol.

I didn't play Defender because i was horrible at it. It would have cost me a small fortune to get good at it, so it was a definite bypass on those Friday nites at Putt Putt Golf n Games. With the discovery of MAME and my HotRod SE, i realized that I could play Defender, improve, and not go broke in the process!!

Moon Patrol was a game that really never drew me in at the time but was something I really enjoy playing these days in MAME.

GameGavel
05-10-09, 01:26
Two for me definitely fall into this category, Defender and Moon Patrol.

I didn't play Defender because i was horrible at it. It would have cost me a small fortune to get good at it, so it was a definite bypass on those Friday nites at Putt Putt Golf n Games. With the discovery of MAME and my HotRod SE, i realized that I could play Defender, improve, and not go broke in the process!!

Moon Patrol was a game that really never drew me in at the time but was something I really enjoy playing these days in MAME.

I know what you mean regarding Defender. It was so over the top and so many buttons! And for my $.25 it just didn't work out because I would die so soon. Now, I do like Defender but playing it for free certainly helps.

Moon Patrol has always been one of my favorites! The graphics were always so beautiful to me back then. And the theme song was one of the best. That game was so awesome! Probably my fav Williams game.

Tempest also falls into the category. I never played it back then. Totally intimidated by it. Now I love it and so does my wife. There is something so zenlike about precisely whipping that spinner around. I had a Tempest cabaret cabinet and then sold it. A day I will always regret!

njs
05-10-09, 02:42
The big title for me is Centipede. I really didn't pay any attention to it when it came out because the artwork was a little too cute for me at the time. Now that I can look past that, it is an awesome game.

Two other titles where Robotron 2084, which I never got into back in the day because it hammers my dyslexia mercilessly. Now that I can play it for free, that's less of an issue. The other is Berserk, which never made its way into any of the arcades that I frequented in Albany, NY. Today I love it and the Vectrex port of the game is incredibly faithful.

Mike, it's interesting to hear you regret trading away your Tempest. That was a game I loved back in the day but, didn't do a whole lot for me today. We traded ours for an Exidy Circus and I have never regretted the decision.

Nick

GameGavel
05-10-09, 02:49
The big title for me is Centipede. I really didn't pay any attention to it when it came out because the artwork was a little too cute for me at the time. Now that I can look past that, it is an awesome game.

Two other titles where Robotron 2084, which I never got into back in the day because it hammers my dyslexia mercilessly. Now that I can play it for free, that's less of an issue. The other is Berserk, which never made its way into any of the arcades that I frequented in Albany, NY. Today I love it and the Vectrex port of the game is incredibly faithful.

Mike, it's interesting to hear you regret trading away your Tempest. That was a game I loved back in the day but, didn't do a whole lot for me today. We traded ours for an Exidy Circus and I have never regretted the decision.

Nick

I had an Exidy Circus for a while too. Looked brand new. I love the old black and whites.

SubaruBrat
07-10-09, 01:08
My top two in that category would probably be Computer Space because I did not have one near me and Donkey Kong. I played the Colecovision version as well as the portables and gamewatch even but the arcades I visited never had one so I play the arcade cab a fair amount now.