PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo on PSP... dear god what do I do?

alyinsanfran
03-10-09, 07:23
My PSP is an original fatty, hacked to 3.72m33.2 with a 16gb card loaded with PSP and PS1 (and emu) titles. Over 50 on it last time I counted.
Including of course GT1 and GT2. And NFS 1, 2 and 3... Colin Macrae, Toca 2 and 3....

Now we have PSP GT, and you need to upgrade to run it. I'd be completely willing to buy the game, after all it's GT, but not if I have to unhack my beast.

And I don't want to rehack it up to a newer spec either - I've spent years getting all the games I wanted and I doubt they'll all run after the upgrade.

So is my only remaining option to buy another PSP just for one bloody game?

Sigh. This is what happens when you think you're oh so clever and hack a console.

Mmmbacon
04-10-09, 03:43
Tough call there. Maybe you can wait for the scene firmware to catch up and allow it to be played. It will happen, the question is can you wait or not :-)

miner2049er
04-10-09, 07:41
Well I was really looking forward to GT on the PSP but apparently they have removed the career mode which makes it a complete waste of the license.

Play TOCA 3 instead, it's excellent.

alyinsanfran
05-10-09, 04:16
Play TOCA 3 instead, it's excellent.

Played it, finished it (mostly - as in finished it but not perfectly)
Still prefer 2 (in the guise of V8 Supercars 2) as I reckon it had a better career mode.

As for upgrading the hack, only problem is the vaaaaast library of titles I've built up. Apparently as you upgrade some of 'em stop working...

Maybe I'll just grab a second hand PSP cheaply off Craiglist and buy the UMD. But possibly play it somewhere first.

miner2049er
05-10-09, 09:21
I played TOCA 3 first and looked at 2 but didnt think there was enough variation from 3 to continue with it so I left it.

I love some of the Australian circuits. They remind me of what F1 tracks used to be like.

alyinsanfran
06-10-09, 01:53
I played TOCA 3 first and looked at 2 but didnt think there was enough variation from 3 to continue with it so I left it.

I love some of the Australian circuits. They remind me of what F1 tracks used to be like.

Yep, having spent many many October days watching the Bathurst 1000 on telly I killed it from the off. And PI is just classic old-style, makes a fantastic bike circuit.

I loved Toca from back when it came out on PS1. I just love all those great Brit circuits, my fav's are Brands Indy, Cadwell, Donington (goodbye sweet love..), Knockhill (for that crazy hairpin onto the straight - reminds me of Teretonga back home)... man you have great tracks. I want to play Anglesey!

I liked Toca 2 for the career mode. It was just very believable - you weren't suddenly going from Formula Ford to Monster Trucks.
It still seems insane to have such great racers on a handheld.

Oh, and let's not forget NFS 1! Runs soooooo sweetly, still has that great heavy physics model - transfers great to the PSP.

miner2049er
06-10-09, 07:15
Donington is about to be butchered which is a real shame as it was the scene of some supreme driving not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MAvSZPHSZ4

I'm not a fan of brands even though I pulled off a great pass there in an online league race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn64bmxfFPc

I love Adelaide, Barbagallo, Eastern Creek and Philip Island.

You talked me into TOCA 2 and maybe even NFS though I dislike them usually, I believe Shift is more stripped back.

alyinsanfran
06-10-09, 10:07
I played NFS 1 the first time on a 3DO(!) I rented for a weekend, it blew me away. Once I got a PS1 and it was out I had it.
I've always loved the heavy physics of it, you really get the feeling of long slides, and then hooking up progessively.

But it helps to know the tracks, they're bloody long! I still like to break out the Supra and see if I can beat my Alpine best, or Coastal. And Lost Vegas in the Diablo is great pinpoint fun.

Once NFS2 came out the slide began - they killed the model to make it easier I guess and it never recovered.

I'd say my PSP gets used more for playing PS1 games than anything else.

alyinsanfran
07-10-09, 03:32
I just watched your Druids pass - absolutely textbook mate. Stuff it up there!

As for Donington, I think it'll be better for it eventually, but watching the 'final' MotoGP round a couple of months ago brought a tear I must say. Silverstone may be a man's track, but flowing it ain't.

That place (Donington) has been the site of a lot of drama over the years. Who'll forget Edwards taking out 'team-mate' Slight at Melbourne, then Aaron trying to chase him down.. only to biff it twice more.
Having watched Slighty grow up back home it didn't surprise me at all. Hard as nails.

miner2049er
10-10-09, 04:24
Yep, having spent many many October days watching the Bathurst 1000 on telly I killed it from the off.

Funny, but it is on TV here tonight. I may have to tune in for a while.

Best not drink too much though (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26171391-5006784,00.html).

miner2049er
24-12-09, 05:14
Donington (goodbye sweet love..), Knockhill

It's Official!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39718

Edwards80
29-12-09, 11:08
Funny that the Aus tracks remind you of what F1 circuits were like.

The racing in the V8 Supercars reminds me a little of what the British Touring cars used to be like. None of the modern day "stuff it up the inside and sod it if you hit them" that has taken over the BTCC.

I try to watch Bathurst every year. Just seems to be one of those events that gets most racing fans excited!

i'm not a huge fan of the rFactor simulator but driving the V8's around Bathurst on it is great fun :) (also try it in a porsche cup car)

SubaruBrat
29-12-09, 01:13
A very astute observation, BTCC has strayed from what it was into a NASCAR environment almost. What surprises me is how popular racing has remained in a country largely forced to drive econo boxes. And they are really pushing that over here too, juse the other day I saw an interview with a woman car column writer who suggested with a straight face buying a smaller car than you can afford and paying the difference in carbon credits. No &#@*n way. Yeah I will drive a Prius so Al Gore can get my cash to fuel his private jet and heat his mansion.

miner2049er
29-12-09, 02:29
The racing in the V8 Supercars reminds me a little of what the British Touring cars used to be like. None of the modern day "stuff it up the inside and sod it if you hit them" that has taken over the BTCC.

I try to watch Bathurst every year. Just seems to be one of those events that gets most racing fans excited!

BTCC has always had contact but nothing like now. I watched them at Silverstone in 1990 as a follow up race to the British Grand Prix and every braking zone you herad bumps as they all nudged the bumper of the car in front but it was almost a "don't relax I am here" touch rather than a "get out of my way" touch.

I watched Bathurst this year too where they limited the amount of alcohol a person could take in. The limit was 24 cans each LOL.

NASCAR to me is mind numbing.

I was thinking the other say how much worse it could have been if Gore had actually been declared the winner over Bush.

If you think it's bad now, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Bush was stupid, greedy and corrupt.
Gore is stupid, greedy and corrupt and drinking his own Kool Aid.

Edwards80
29-12-09, 03:31
BTCC has always had contact but nothing like now. I watched them at Silverstone in 1990 as a follow up race to the British Grand Prix and every braking zone you herad bumps as they all nudged the bumper of the car in front but it was almost a "don't relax I am here" touch rather than a "get out of my way" touch.

That's the enormous difference. It's not an uncommon practice in closed wheel racing, especially at club/amateur level. When racing my kart, I got used to being nudged a few times a lap when in a pack, either the "I'm still here you know" tap as you mentioned or the chap behind giving a friendly push to give us both a bit more speed down the straight (not so common with cars!).

As soon as that progressed to anything malicious, it was pretty much stamped on by the other competitors/clerk of the course. The BTCC officials seem to have adopted a no holds barred approach. It just isn't good racing . . if it were, then Banger racing would be a much bigger business! Alot of the good talent seem to be bypassing BTCC altogether nowadays, probably as a result of this.

Bring Soper and Rouse back :-D

SubaruBrat
29-12-09, 03:59
Karts are a blast. I have seen them put on demos and race at autocross events I have driven in and they are amazing. The 125cc six speeds have true supercar performance under about 120mph. It is something watching a kart do 0-60 in 3 seconds. One day when I don't have a pile of projects to deal with I want to pick one up. I have a Subaru Brat gokart body that I want to mate with a 125cc chassis just for fun, not competition.

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/brats/go-cart/brat-go-cart-1.jpg

Edwards80
29-12-09, 04:27
Haha - good luck with that, would certainly be fun :-)

Mine is a 115cc Forumula TKM - Awesome fun to drive and very fast. 5-60 in less than 4 seconds (5-60 as if you are at 0 then you have stalled :D )

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v134/204/82/690757474/n690757474_156710_5484.jpg

My old man used to race a 250cc Superkart on a self made chassis. Capable of 140mph but that was limited by the gearing - would be quicker on a long circuit. Scary/fun stuff! The car behind me in that pic is another of my dad's self built machines :-)

Shame I moved out really, I don't have a garage for toys like that now! :-(

SubaruBrat
29-12-09, 05:19
Nice toys! Is that a Westfield he has there? Those Lotus 7's and clones are pure magic. I have been a Lotus fan for a long time. I had an Esprit and loved it but wanted something more, sold it and went to a Diablo VT and it was more, but also less if you get my meaning, and in 06 I got rid of it and picked up the Elise. I did the supercharger, intercooler, injectors, pump, software, lower end and cam/valvesprings and that got me exactly where I wanted to be and back in Lotus land. That 250 must have been something, the uninformed will call BS on a 160mph kart but they can do it, 4 wheel sport bikes is what they are.

Edwards80
29-12-09, 06:17
hehe I know what you mean about people calling BS. What makes me laugh is people sticking 1000cc GSX-R bike engines to kart chassis when they are nowhere near as quick as leaving a proper 125cc/250cc kart engine in place :)

Sounds like you like having fun in your cars :) An Esprit would definitely be in my "10 car Garage"

That car is similar to a westfield. It is a Sylva Striker. Most Westies and the like have 1.3ltr pinto engines which are fast enough! However, my old man decided he would use his years of knowledge as an aircraft engineer to shoehorn a 2.7ltr V6 Honda/Rover hybrid into it. It worked :) Insanely quick!

He has sold it now though, for a tidy profit! He has just about finished a 1967 Ferrari P4 Le Mans Replica. It is powered by a big block Chevy which is in the process of being rebuilt :) A genuine engine would have cost both arms and both legs!

Piccy's here http://www.flickr.com/photos/smeracing/sets/72157608237842699/

SubaruBrat
29-12-09, 06:27
True, but the sound and fury of a GSX-R engine in a kart is worth it. I looked through all those P4 pics and that is a work of art, if anyone looking at this wonders what homebuilt cars can turn out like check out his link!

miner2049er
29-12-09, 07:02
I love Karting but I'm too heavy to be quick. Last time I did it I was a moving roadblock by just positioning myself on the entry and being more skillful on the throttle on the exit people couldn't pass.

I have to take a wider line to keep momentum up but lighter drivers can throw it around on the inside and pick up speed again quicker than I can.

Once they did get by they were gone with no hope of me catching them

Also, that P4 is gorgeous, there was a great documentary about Le Mans this year on DVD but I forget the name of it. Seemed to have an Audi bias but it was good stuff, though probably nothing you didn't already know.

alyinsanfran
29-12-09, 11:45
Not sure if I'm hijacking the thread or releasing it from the it's binds and gag... but I did end up upgrading the hack of my PSP - to 5.50 GEN-D2.
Runs everything in my extensive library of emus, PS1 and PSP titles.
Including - drum roll - Gran Turismo.

And what a bloody fantastic game it is. I'm on to the last 6 on the driving challenges (having completed 96 of them!) and loving every restart. They're tough - UK have you finished them? You'd be the guy who could do so.

I even went out and paid for it, so I don't deprive the dev' of their commission. That's how good it is.

miner2049er
30-12-09, 12:05
I haven't upgraded the firmware as I don't want to risk breaking anything I have running, and it would only be to play Gran Turismo if I did.

I would go and buy Gran Turismo tomorrow but the lack of career mode is putting me off. Without career mode Gran Turismo becomes a generic racer and I have those already.

alyinsanfran
30-12-09, 03:03
Yeah that's exactly why it took me so long to 'upgrade' too. I've got about 120gb of PS1, PSP and emus that I was worried about them not running any more.

But - it all still runs. Every last one I've tested.

And though GT doesn't have a career mode, it's still very very progressive. It's just a different way to progress.
After playing GT1 and GT2 (both disks) on my PSP, and getting a lonnng way they're gone. This kills them - it's awesome. Just a little different. If you have any doubts, keep em all on your card.

miner2049er
30-12-09, 11:02
But - it all still runs. Every last one I've tested.

Hope you're right cos I just did it.

Why do Gran Turismo games always have cool intros?

Remember these? It helps that the songs they're based on were great to begin with.

Gran Turismo 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGH3uG4gGI4)

Gran Turismo 2 (PAL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKzsAqKNBnw&feature=PlayList&p=B13F30E450D9B1C3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=69)

alyinsanfran
31-12-09, 02:15
Mate I sooooo remember those opening themes. Polyphony is awesome, always has been. Their head bloke, forget his name, he's so into cars he's damn near Rain Man about it.

Go try the driving challenges. The first screen of them (A-I) is easy, but J-N is tricky at times. And the last one, O "Ultimate Challenge Part 2" .... man I've been at them for 4 long sessions. I've got 2 left to finish, GT One at Motegi and Countach at Cote d'Azur... they're killing me.

Plus, I have to go back and complete the lot with gold cups.

Hey and chesk how beautiful the graphics are, esp' Nordschleife.. it's truly a handheld PS2.

miner2049er
31-12-09, 02:23
Hey and chesk how beautiful the graphics are, esp' Nordschleife.. it's truly a handheld PS2.

it has the full Nordschleife?

Man, I'm so in.

i thought I saw it on the intro with the writing on the tarmac but wasn't sure.

alyinsanfran
31-12-09, 03:58
I've only played sections of it so far - I'm addicted to the driving challenges and it has 2 complete parts to itself (12 stretches to earn 'cups'), to school you up on it.

And every nasty bump and off camber badness is right in there.

Worth price of admission. Must get myself a nice Elise for it.

I really like that the manufacturers showroom's change each day. You never know what'll come up. Still hoping for a Humber 80.

alyinsanfran
02-01-10, 07:42
Finished all the challenges - now I'm going through 'em all again to earn gold.