PDA

View Full Version : 16kb versions of the Podcast

miner2049er
21-09-09, 11:24
I got an email recently telling me that some older devices cannot download files as large as our show, so this month Flare also made a 16kb version of the show to reduce the size.

Obviously the sound quality takes a big hit but the file is only around 40MB, so even Blackberries and people on limited bandwidth can download it.

These small versions won't be in the rss feed and will only be available on our site, but for the next few months we will put these up alongside the standard version and see how many people are using them.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm

saberman
22-09-09, 09:08
I got an email recently telling me that some older devices cannot download files as large as our show, so this month Flare also made a 16kb version of the show to reduce the size.

Obviously the sound quality takes a big hit but the file is only around 40MB, so even Blackberries and people on limited bandwidth can download it.

These small versions won't be in the rss feed and will only be available on our site, but for the next few months we will put these up alongside the standard version and see how many people are using them.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm

If people are experiencing the ‘File Size Exceeds Download Limit’ in internet explorer feeds functionality then there is a fix for that. You have to edit your registry setting and obviously you do that at your own peril. For more information see the following link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2006/10/22/thank-you.aspx

I changed my setting to 128 MB as suggested in that thread and not had a problem since.

miner2049er
22-09-09, 09:56
Thanks for the tip.

andyuk
23-09-09, 08:44
Look at that topic post. Here's me thinking you'd made a version of RGR for the spectrum!!. Sigh.. You tease!!! :)

miner2049er
23-09-09, 10:03
Could it handle it if we did?

andyuk
23-09-09, 10:11
Hey, In 'my' world the speccy can handle anything heh. ( it's all the country air, does things to the mind !! )

leathco
12-10-09, 01:22
I got a bad habit of keeping my devices full, I have an 8GB iPod Touch that I mostly use as a handheld computer, and a 16 GB Zune HD for movies and music. So far I've kept every episode of the podcast on the Zune for easy listening.

A crazy idea I had would be to break the podcast into chapters, sort of like tracks on a CD. That way if I want to skip straight to the top ten I can rather easily, as I often am not near a wifi connection and dont know when the timestamp is for that segment. Than package the entire podcast in a zip file and treat the entire podcast like a cd with multiple tracks.

miner2049er
12-10-09, 02:12
I have spent some time this weekend looking into adding chapters to the show in addition to the timestamps, but none of the solutions I found fulfil what we need.

Splitting the show and delivering it in anything but a single file would break our delivery model and upset the majority of listeners who are happy with that single file.

Also, 99% of audio players don't support an mp3 that has chapters so the last thing I want to do is fix what isn't broken.

The next best solution is what we do, provide the timestamps. If people want to split them with their own tools then fine, we give the timestamps out to help them. I suppose we could build an xml file or something that mp3 splitters could import to save the end user having to type them in, but again, not all splitters will use the same format xml file.

It's something I will look at again but we won't be splitting the rss feed or itunes shows.