PDA

View Full Version : Sept 09 Podcast LIVE! Discuss this months show right here.

GameGavel
19-09-09, 10:48
http://retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Your own Jukebox Part 3 (UKMike) - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (26:45)
iPhone Review - (48:51)
Review of Jet Set Willy (72:14)
Top Ten Holy Crap! Arcade Games - See our results - (87:01)
Breakout Read Along - (203:20)
It Came From MAME - (210:20)
Pick Up n Play Virtua Tennis Review - (224:40)
Tech Questions - (241:03)
The British Hour - (265:01)
News And Mailbag - (271:46)
Gaming Expos - (346:19)
URLs and E-Mails - (350:05)

miner2049er
20-09-09, 01:11
I wonder who will win the competition that's hidden in the show.

I left out the time stamp on purpose.

Happy hunting.

saberman
20-09-09, 10:16

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Your own Jukebox Part 3 (UKMike) - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (26:45)
iPhone Review - (48:51)
Review of Jet Set Willy (72:14)
Top Ten Holy Crap! Arcade Games - See our results - (87:01)
Breakout Read Along - (203:20)
Pick Up n Play Virtua Tennis Review - (224:40)
Tech Questions - (241:03)
The British Hour - (265:01)
News And Mailbag - (271:46)
Gaming Expos - (346:19)
URLs and E-Mails - (350:05)

Great show as always guys. My favourite quote has to be - 'Give us a wanker Mike'. I liked all the segments and thanks for the shout out :). The JSW review was great in fact I'd say it was a joint Manic Miner/JSW review.

One small request in the show notes can you start putting the games that 'Came from MAME' please? They always sound good when I listen but I can never remember them when get round to fireing up MAME.

The top ten was great too and for once the game I thought should be top was.

Keep up the great work guys.

Flare
20-09-09, 02:30
I'm getting in touch with JO Bud right now!

miner2049er
20-09-09, 03:16
Great show as always guys. My favourite quote has to be - 'Give us a wanker Mike'.

If you like the throw away comments like that, the outtakes are full of them, and some kick ass tunes too obviously.

One small request in the show notes can you start putting the games that 'Came from MAME' please? They always sound good when I listen but I can never remember them when get round to firing up MAME.

Done, they are all included now.

miner2049er
20-09-09, 03:17
I'm getting in touch with JO Bud right now!

Remember, no reply without face and d1ck pics. :o

Jerky
20-09-09, 07:21
You know, after last month's Top 10, I thought I heard the last of Family Guy pinball and Xenon. But here they show up again--in this month's Top 10 nonetheless! I now know everything I needed to know about these machines. I'll probably never see them in person, but I felt like I've played and maintained them for years.

Please please please--Let's not mention these pinball machines for a while okay? Even UK Mike dropped the "Megadrive vs Genesis" schtick before it could have gotten out of hand!

Aside from that...I still have to finish listening to the show.

miner2049er
20-09-09, 07:26
Haha! I know what you mean, but following a recommendation from Scott I listened to the TOPCast (This Old Pinball) show recently, and they reckoned that Family Guy was "the perfect pinball" table, so cut Scott a little slack. LOL.

Anyway, rest assured that neither will be picked for October's Top Ten.

miner2049er
20-09-09, 11:01
STOP PRESS!!!!!

The competition I hid in this month's show has been won!

If you listen to the show at 48m 40s you'll hear some garbled junk that you had to decode by playing in reverse, and despite living in Stone, UK and being married to his cousin, AndyUk figured out that he had to do just that and won the competition.

Now I just have to find something to send him.

Maybe some rubber cleaning solution for his ZX Spectrum keyboard.

:SFK

saberman
21-09-09, 01:08
STOP PRESS!!!!!

The competition I hid in this month's show has been won!

If you listen to the show at 48m 40s you'll hear some garbled junk that you had to decode by playing in reverse, and despite living in Stone, UK and being married to his cousin, AndyUk figured out that he had to do just that and won the competition.

Now I just have to find something to send him.

Maybe some rubber cleaning solution for his ZX Spectrum keyboard.

:SFK

Rubber cleaning solution always comes in handy ;).

andyuk
21-09-09, 07:08
Rubber cleaning solution always comes in handy ;).

Especially if your'e married to your cousin and come from Stone :C2: .. HEY!! .. what??....eh ??.wait a godamn minute!! MINEEEERRRRRR!!!!!

Mmmbacon
22-09-09, 09:45
Congrats on another great show guys. You guys are really hitting your stride. Here are my random thoughts on this month’s episode:

Jukebox: Have really never had an interest in one, yet I still listened to the segment and found it interesting

Hardware Flashback: Another great technical segment from Scott. As I do not, as of yet have a arcade or MAME machine, I’ll have to file these tips away for that glorious day when I have won the lottery, or when SoCal has pity on a fellow Retrogamer and sends me his mint Donkey Kong Machine. Think about it SoCal, Food Fight or making a fellow retrogamers’ lifelong wish for his own Donkey Kong Machine come true? Follow your heart….

iPhone Review: I freakin LOVE this segment. Let me heartily agree with SoCal on one thing. If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch and don’t have Space Invaders Infinity Gene yet, you are missing out. It’s that good. I also checked out Jiminy Chimney and it’s a fun little retro-shooter, and being free, the price was right. I will probably pick up Dungeon Scroller too, looks like it’s unique and fun. Next up we have Wacky Packages Find The Fake. What the heck does that have to do with RetroGaming?? Nothing. But, us retrogamers grew up with them. Me? I collected them pretty hard core. So this inclusion, while not specifically gaming related is appreciated, as it was an immediate BUY for me ($1.99). Another perfect example of RetrogamingRoundups ability to know their listeners. And finally, Just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have individual links to the Apps reviewed in this segment.

Top Ten Holy Crap Games: Probably my favorite segment. Love the interaction in this segment. Love it. My top 4 if I were to win the listener lottery and be involved in the show over in the top 10 thread.

It Came From Mame: Great segment this month. I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable retrogamer, and I had no clue that StrikeForfce was the endpiece in Williams Defender Trilogy? How could I not know that? I’m almost embarrassed. Wonder what percentage of the other listeners know this? Was thinking that it might be cool to have an informal high score tournament on the featured It Came From Mame game each month. For example, after the episode is released, set a 2 or 3 week period where people submit their high scores in that game in a dedicated thread with a glorious prize of bragging rights. Any interest from you guys on something like this?

Pick Up N Play Virtua Tennis Review: You have to admire someone that can admit their wrong and even make an interesting segment about it. Props to UK for righting a wrong…

News And Mailbag: Love this segment, there are tons of things that I hadn’t come across in my surfing. I particularly LOVED the great Ben Hecks Bill Paxton pinball machine. That machine absolutely has to have the great quote from Weird Science “You two *%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&weeds could’nt get laid in a morgue” and obviously, when the final ball drains “Game Over man! Game over”. But the absolutely BEST part of the news and mailbag this month was the shoutout!!. Stuff like that really makes ya feel part of the show and is seriously appreciated. And to answer UK’s question about the username, SoCal was dead on, it’s a Simpson reference. I’ve always been a huge Simpsons fan and just thought it would make a hilarious username. Thanks again :-)

So ill shaddup already, thanks again for the show and keep it up, I’m already looking forward to the October show…

SubaruBrat
22-09-09, 11:23
That corrosion problem applies to consoles and other gear too!

Mmmbacon
23-09-09, 04:45
That corrosion problem applies to consoles and other gear too!

Ha! Good point Scott. And I still think such a fine conditioned Donkey Kong machine should find a home where it will be treated with the reverence it deserves. Not traded like a bent baseball card for Food Fight of all things! Wouldn't you agree??

SubaruBrat
23-09-09, 04:54
Start trolling craigslist, auctions etc. You could own a classic by the end of the year :RY

Mmmbacon
23-09-09, 01:52
Yeah, have the saved searches in the RSS reader already. DK seems to be getting a bit more rare these days. And I havnt seen one go for under 500 lately. October 3 here in Dallas is the next Super Auction. Crossing my fingers that this will be THE ONE! :DKB:DKB:DKB

alyinsanfran
23-09-09, 10:50
Just finished the show. Brilliant! You guys get better and better.

I love the banter back and forth during the news segment.

It came from Mame is one of my favourite bits too, some great tips there.

I liked the JSW bit too, I've been playing it off and on on PSP since finishing MM and it's really a tight little game even today.

Keep it up guys, you're doing a great job and a great service to the community here.

GameGavel
23-09-09, 11:34
Just finished the show. Brilliant! You guys get better and better.

I love the banter back and forth during the news segment.

It came from Mame is one of my favourite bits too, some great tips there.

I liked the JSW bit too, I've been playing it off and on on PSP since finishing MM and it's really a tight little game even today.

Keep it up guys, you're doing a great job and a great service to the community here.

Appreciate it !

RedWolfJC
24-09-09, 04:49
As always great show guys...

Bill Paxton pinball, I love it... Game over man, Game over!

Going back to listen to it again...

Chris
25-09-09, 03:58
Enjoyed the show guys, finished it up today because I drove ALOT. I'm 31 so I guess it's a generational thing, but Street Fighter 2 was a "holy crap" game for me.

For the sake of knowing who I am on related websites:

Chris=Chris from Monroeworld=Chris Evans from Video Masters TV=Chris Evans of The Retro Machine. We're all in bed together.

I love UK Mike's travels. I didn't understand some of the lingo he used, but it was still funny.

GameGavel
25-09-09, 02:58
Thanks for listening guys :)

saberman
25-09-09, 05:01
Enjoyed the show guys, finished it up today because I drove ALOT. I'm 31 so I guess it's a generational thing, but Street Fighter 2 was a "holy crap" game for me.

For the sake of knowing who I am on related websites:

Chris=Chris from Monroeworld=Chris Evans from Video Masters TV=Chris Evans of The Retro Machine. We're all in bed together.

I love UK Mike's travels. I didn't understand some of the lingo he used, but it was still funny.

Me either - what does 'I'll blow you for a fiver' mean UK? Is it some kind of hairdressing reference?

miner2049er
25-09-09, 07:13
Me either - what does 'I'll blow you for a fiver' mean UK? Is it some kind of hairdressing reference?

I guess a hairdresser could be heard to say it, however, most of the hairdressers I know would do it for much less than a fiver. Maybe even as little as a lime and soda and a bag of dry roasted nuts.

Chris
25-09-09, 07:39
I guess a hairdresser could be heard to say it, however, most of the hairdressers I know would do it for much less than a fiver. Maybe even as little as a lime and soda and a bag of dry roasted nuts.

hahahahahahaha

Jerky
25-09-09, 08:19

I saw Strikeforce at a movie theater around the time it came out. The game had the graphical look of Smash TV, High Impact Football, and Terminator 2. I thought that because they were Williams games, this one may be a Defender sequel. But I thought there was too much stuff happening on the screen to fully take it all in--even worse than Defender and Stargate! I didn't dig it back then, but it's kind of cool now.

I found out about Two Tigers when a friend of mine back in '86 or '87 told me that he saw the coolest game ever. He dragged me to this crappy pool hall in town and there was Two Tigers. I thought the graphics were kind of lame, and I didn't see what was the big deal. But when we started playing together it was pretty fun. I was glad that you didn't die when you hit the planes, but there was a sh!tload of objects on the screen! I only played the version with the 2 spinners.

Nice picks, SoCal!

Chewchilla
30-09-09, 02:01
Hey guys! It's my first post over here at the Roundup and I wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying the shows. Keep up the great work!

I can't believe W.C. Franks was mentioned during September's Top Ten segment. I thought I was the only person on the planet that remembered that place. The W.C. Franks in the city I lived in during my teenage years had a lot of great arcade games, but I went there mainly because it was the only place in town that had Front Line. Unfortunately, my local Franks did not survive past the mid 80's.

GameGavel
30-09-09, 03:40
Hey guys! It's my first post over here at the Roundup and I wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying the shows. Keep up the great work!

I can't believe W.C. Franks was mentioned during September's Top Ten segment. I thought I was the only person on the planet that remembered that place. The W.C. Franks in the city I lived in during my teenage years had a lot of great arcade games, but I went there mainly because it was the only place in town that had Front Line. Unfortunately, my local Franks did not survive past the mid 80's.'

Hey Chew,

I knew your name looked familiar. What other gaming forums are you a member of? Thanks for joining and posting, and I hope you join the Chuckwagon to if you haven't already :)

We had a couple WC Franks near my home in Omaha, Nebraska at the time. Both had a great arcade. Nothing like the smell of snack bar type food, 80's music and the sound effects of all those arcade games. A successful formula for the Skateland Skating rinks too. Oh, except the skating rinks had the hot girls, to :)

Chewchilla
30-09-09, 08:58
I knew your name looked familiar. What other gaming forums are you a member of?

I've been a longtime member of the MonroeWorld forums.

We had a couple WC Franks near my home in Omaha, Nebraska at the time. Both had a great arcade. Nothing like the smell of snack bar type food, 80's music and the sound effects of all those arcade games.

Indeed. The only other place we had that was similar to Franks was The Fire Station. It had a great atmosphere, but I did not go there very often because they used grooved tokens for their arcade games. Most of the time the tokens were a pain in the arse to get into the slots and when you managed to get one in, there was a good chance it would get stuck.

The Fire Station, the local Franks and Chuck E. Cheese all closed down during the mid 80's. It was a rough time for arcades.

BydoEmpire73
01-10-09, 03:10
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but after listening to yet another one of SoCalMike's rundowns of cool-sounding iPhone games, I put my DSi up for sale and I'm buying an iPod Touch instead. I'm really drawn to the quantity of retro-style games that the iPod touch will play. I did like the DS/DSi, but I play it so rarely and it's hard to justify spending much on portable games since they don't get a lot of use. 90% of my DS time has been playing Tutankham on the Konami Arcade pack anyways...

So, thanks SoCalMike... you sold me an iPod Touch. :)

GameGavel
01-10-09, 03:15
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but after listening to yet another one of SoCalMike's rundowns of cool-sounding iPhone games, I put my DSi up for sale and I'm buying an iPod Touch instead. I'm really drawn to the quantity of retro-style games that the iPod touch will play. I did like the DS/DSi, but I play it so rarely and it's hard to justify spending much on portable games since they don't get a lot of use. 90% of my DS time has been playing Tutankham on the Konami Arcade pack anyways...

So, thanks SoCalMike... you sold me an iPod Touch. :)

I still have my DS but don't play it near as much as my Touch. And I have a full size Tut to play on. God, I love that game :) Way underrated. Hey, most underrated arcade and console games. Sounds like a couple of top-10 debates :MMS:

miner2049er
01-10-09, 10:14
The right shoulder button on my DS finally died having survived several previous repairs. I though about buying a new DSi but I know I wouldn't use it enough so I'll wait for a dead DS to come my way and swap the button mech out instead.

Since I got my PSP I have barely touched the DS anyway but I play mainly emulated stuff on there rather than PSP games, some of the emulators on PSP are amazing.

I have been out of the DS loop for about a year now as I got sick of the crap that was and still is coming out for it, but every time I open the drawer it is the PSP that I pick up.

I should really look into some games on the iTouch but I want a bigger one really, 8GB just doesn't cut it. I may pick one up when I go to the US in a couple of weeks.

saberman
01-10-09, 11:18
The right shoulder button on my DS finally died having survived several previous repairs. I though about buying a new DSi but I know I wouldn't use it enough so I'll wait for a dead DS to come my way and swap the button mech out instead.

Since I got my PSP I have barely touched the DS anyway but I play mainly emulated stuff on there rather than PSP games, some of the emulators on PSP are amazing.

I have been out of the DS loop for about a year now as I got sick of the crap that was and still is coming out for it, but every time I open the drawer it is the PSP that I pick up.

I should really look into some games on the iTouch but I want a bigger one really, 8GB just doesn't cut it. I may pick one up when I go to the US in a couple of weeks.

I have an iPod touch and very rarely use it for games. I tend to switch between my DS and PSP. I’ll go for a period playing emulators on my PSP then back to my DS.

The game I have spent most time playing on my DS must be Metroid Prime Pinball. That would be closely followed by Etrain Odyssey. I imported both of those early in the DS’s life thank’s to Dual Screen radio :). I’m replaying Etrain Odyssey at the moment.

miner2049er
01-10-09, 01:28
The game I have spent most time playing on my DS must be Metroid Prime Pinball. That would be closely followed by Etrain Odyssey.

Picross DS FTW!

Jerky
06-10-09, 08:01
SoCal's game reviews make me want an Ipod Touch really really bad. It's just too much of an expense for our household.

So I'm just going to stay a generation or two back with my Gameboy Advance Micro, my EZ-Flash cartridge, and my GBA rom collection. :(

If only some of those Touch games were ported to the PC...

GameGavel
08-10-09, 02:51
SoCal's game reviews make me want an Ipod Touch really really bad. It's just too much of an expense for our household.

So I'm just going to stay a generation or two back with my Gameboy Advance Micro, my EZ-Flash cartridge, and my GBA rom collection. :(

If only some of those Touch games were ported to the PC...

How do you like your micro? I had one when they originally came out and then for some reason sold it. Then a couple months ago I picked up another and love it. But I still love GBA games. So many to choose from, and most are still a blast to play. Just picked up a cool, somewhat little known game called, Wade Hixton's Counter Punch. A great little boxing game kind of like Punch Out. Give it a try if you haven't already :)

saberman
09-10-09, 02:24
Didn’t Scott mention something about a forum thread for guest interviews on the show. Did I dream that or have I just missed it?

GameGavel
09-10-09, 02:27
Didn’t Scott mention something about a forum thread for guest interviews on the show. Did I dream that or have I just missed it?

You heard right. Are you interested in getting interviewed ? If so shoot Scotty a PM and we will line it up.

SubaruBrat
09-10-09, 02:48
Mind readers, I am writing the post about it right now! Details out today!

Jerky
09-10-09, 03:36
How do you like your micro? ...

It's okay. I got it a couple of years ago because I was a bit intimidated by the GP32X. I loaded all the NES roms in the Micro. They work okay, but for some games, the screen seems a bit too small. Some GBA roms will crash because the rom is trying to save data. One of these was Activision Anthology (dammit). Some roms just won't save any progress.

I really just take it along when I'm getting my car an oil change or new tires. That's about it.

Oh, and I loaded that Wade Hixton boxing. It's pretty awesome!

Joshua B
28-12-09, 08:02
My holy crap arcade moments:

Wizard of Wor at Whaleback ski area in Enfield, NH
I was a boy watching teenagers use the back to back strategy. The warlocks were so fast, the music and speech so scary to me...

Haunted House pinball at an arcade near the Arlington St T stop in Boston
The dark music set a mood. The game seemed so physically huge and deep.

Star Wars Arcade (sit down model)
Cool controls, amesome graphics

Stun Runners
Same as above

zxspectrum16k
01-11-10, 10:55
About halfway in (just finished off the top 10), but wanted to post how much i enjoyed the 'Review of Jet Set Willy' and thanks Mike for the heads up on the multiplayer JSW. Had a go and seems cool, but noone else was running a server so didnt get to play it multiplayer. However I am hopeful that i will be able to get some of my mates to take break from Fable 3 and give it a try this coming Sunday.
And mega thanks for reminding me about Starblade, need to give it a try on Mame

miner2049er
01-11-10, 11:14
Thanks, the JSW servers don't seem as popular as they were but if you do find a populated one it's good fun.

If you set one up on Sunday let us know and maybe some others here will jump in. If I'm around I will be there.