PDA

View Full Version : Hello

saberman
14-09-09, 05:23
Geoff here, 36 married one kid. I originally come from a small mining village in the north east of England. I now live and work in Nottingham. I have to admit that I was firmly in the ZX Spectrum camp at school. I loved the Ultimate games; Atic Atac, Saberwulf, Knightlore, Alien 8 etc… hence the tag saberman. I’m also a big fan of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. One of my all time favorite games is The Lords of Midnight, I’d love to see an updated version of that on the iPhone or DS with improved AI.

Computer/gaming history:
ZX Spectrum 48K
ZX Spectrum 48K (The first one wore out)
ZX Spectrum 128 + (The second spectrum wore out)
IBM PCs (486 then Pentiums good for point and click adventures, warcraft, command and conquer, magic carpet, might and magic)
N64
PS2 (hardly ever played that though)
GBA
GBA SP
PSP Fat (with 1.5 firmware)
GP32
PSP Slim and lite (with custom firmware)
DS
GP2x
Wii

I mostly use the handhelds, particularly the PSPs, for emulation. I was a big RG radio fan and also listen to Passenger Seat Radio.

GameGavel
14-09-09, 05:35
Welcome. I have to say I never played Saberwulf back in the day, but it is one of my favorites games on my GBA. Total blast and I can see why you also enjoyed it. Do you have the GBA version? I don't think it was that popular of a game on the GBA, but def a sleeper hit for those thay know about it.

miner2049er
14-09-09, 09:49
Geoff here, 36 married one kid. I originally come from a small mining village in the north east of England.

Howay!

I’m also a big fan of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

Then you will like my review this month. ;)

I mostly use the handhelds, particularly the PSPs, for emulation.

Same here, I just put SCUMMVM on mine. It works better than I thought it would.

saberman
15-09-09, 02:13
Welcome. I have to say I never played Saberwulf back in the day, but it is one of my favorites games on my GBA. Total blast and I can see why you also enjoyed it. Do you have the GBA version? I don't think it was that popular of a game on the GBA, but def a sleeper hit for those thay know about it.

Yes I do have the GBA version and played it quite a bit but never completed it. It started to get a bit repetitive towards the end IIRC. It was good though and has the Rare charm that games like Donkey Kong Country and Banjo Kazooie also have. Back when it came out I think it got a bit of a bad press.

The original Saberwulf was much tougher but I did complete that a few times. As with many other 8 bit games is very good game to play emulated on a handheld. In fact I’m pretty sure I played that on my GBA too.

saberman
15-09-09, 02:21
Howay!

Aye - I'd climb a mountain for a canny bag of tudor and all that.

Then you will like my review this month. ;)

Cool - I'll look forward to it. I'm looking forward to this month's show anyway :)

Same here, I just put SCUMMVM on mine. It works better than I thought it would.
Yes - I completed Day of the Tentical for the first time in years on my PSP.

miner2049er
15-09-09, 07:41
I'm playing Loom for the first time, in fact I haven't played many SCUMM games, other than Monkey Island of course and a few Point n Clicks on the Amiga.

Remember Operation Stealth? Free with a mouse if I remember correctly and it came with similar copy protection to Jet Set Willy in the form of a colour coded chart.

saberman
16-09-09, 04:56
I'm playing Loom for the first time, in fact I haven't played many SCUMM games, other than Monkey Island of course and a few Point n Clicks on the Amiga.

Remember Operation Stealth? Free with a mouse if I remember correctly and it came with similar copy protection to Jet Set Willy in the form of a colour coded chart.

I've not played that many either. Day of the tentacle was my first point and click game then Monkey Island. I’ve played Beneath a Steel sky too, courtesy of the RetroGamer cover disk.

I’ve never heard of Operation Stealth to be honest. The color sheet in JSW was cool it took me a whole maths lesson to copy it onto a page ripped from the back of my maths book. For back-up purposes obviously :).

Talking of which I once noticed Ikea had based the design for a cushion on that code sheet. I took a picture on my phone. I’ll see if I can dig it out.