PDA

View Full Version : GP2X Wiz

Chris
10-09-09, 04:06
Does anyone have one of these? I'm so on the fence about buying one and wondered what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

GameGavel
10-09-09, 04:11
I have one of the earlier GP2X's and it's amazing! Nothing better to get for running portable emulators. The Mame Emu is amazing. As are the Emu's for Genesis, Sega Master System, Colecovision and C64. Get it !!

Chris
10-09-09, 04:23
I have one of the earlier GP2X's and it's amazing! Nothing better to get for running portable emulators. The Mame Emu is amazing. As are the Emu's for Genesis, Sega Master System, Colecovision and C64. Get it !!

Yeah I remember the older GP2x's, and it seemed like everyone in the community had one but noone talks about the Wiz and I just wonder why. The button placement does worry me (how the buttons are in a dpad shape) and this talk of "diagonal tearing". A chinese handheld called the Dingoo A320 is getting some good attention, it's about $100 cheaper, but I don't think it does C64 or MAME. It is pre-loaded with some common emus for the nes and such.

alyinsanfran
12-09-09, 12:10
I had a GP32Blu+ and now a GP2XMk1. The GP2X really does have a terrible control stick. I've tinkered but it just puts me off playing, so now it does bathroom duty.

The Wiz interests me. Controller looks nice, that 4 way button on the right is supposed to be pretty good (the company took community feedback on board before release and made the buttons independent at least).

I think the tearing issue has been fixed through software. The GP32Blu+ had a similar problem that was fixed by the community too.

I'm thinking of getting one, but to be honest my PSP gets most of my handheld emulation love.

If you get one, please give feedback.

GameGavel
12-09-09, 07:03
It turns out I just found a Wiz for sale here on Los Angeles Craigslist. I am going to be picking it up this weekend and selling my older GP2X. I will let everyone know what I think of it.

Chris
14-09-09, 06:01
It turns out I just found a Wiz for sale here on Los Angeles Craigslist. I am going to be picking it up this weekend and selling my older GP2X. I will let everyone know what I think of it.

I definitely look forward to that. This saturday when I was at Gamecorecon, I saw a GP2x Wiz for sale, used for $134. It was kinda smudgy so that was one factor in me not bargaining for it. But still though, it was cool to finally see one up close.

teknohed
17-09-09, 06:19
There are a couple guys at work that have the GP2X. It seems pretty sweet to me. If I could find one for less than 100 bucks I'd pick it up for sure.

alyinsanfran
19-09-09, 07:26
It's funny, just participating in this thread motivated me to go grab my GP2X out of the bathroom magazine box where it's been collecting dust for a year.

Recharged the batteries, cleaned it, and what do you know, that controller isn't as bad as I remember. But I had recently done the mod where you shave a little off the base. Still far from perfect, you have to be quite deliberate in movement.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how the Wiz is.

Chris
21-09-09, 08:18
Ok I couldn't do it anymore. Couldn't wait. Bought a "barely used" gp2x wiz on ebay today for $140 from a reputable seller. Should be here this week.

alyinsanfran
23-09-09, 05:13
SoCal, did you pick up that Wiz? Will you hold back your review until the next show or do we get the skinny?

GameGavel
23-09-09, 06:32
SoCal, did you pick up that Wiz? Will you hold back your review until the next show or do we get the skinny?

You know it turned out the guy snaked me on it and sold it to someone else. So it has eluded me so far. But I will be getting one and reviewing it on an upcoming show, for sure. Stay tuned !

Chris
09-10-09, 07:27
Ok, so now I'm going to give you guys details on my GP2X Wiz experience. I bought it...used it....sold it.

The system itself is fairly nice, fairly well built (though if you give it a light shake, it's like you can hear something rattling inside just a little).

I did not try the games that it came with because I was not interested in them. I was only interested in having one pocket gaming system in which i could play NES, Sega Master System, SNES, C64, MAME, and Atari 2600 games.

For the most part, I got NES, Atari, and Sega Master System working just fine. I never quite got C64 or Mame working. Hey, I'm not a "wiz" at this stuff exactly myself, so setting it up with all this ad hoc emulation software was a bit of a chore for me.

There are 3 reasons I don't like the GP2X Wiz. One reason is a BIG BIG problem that is a TOTAL DEAL KILLER for me. The other 2 are something I could have lived with. One is that the battery power is pretty "meh". It seemed low after just a few hours of play. The other is that the screen really is a bit too small for my tastes. But like I said, I could have lived with those two things.

The big deal breaker here is this thing called "screen tearing". Oh my god, this drove me insane. I don't know why people in the GP2X Wiz community aren't bitching about this more, but I have no idea how ANYONE lives with this issue. Basically, if you are playing a game that is scrolling from side to side or up and down (which is, um, alot), you will see this faint yet unmistakable diagonal line that appears as the playfield scrolls. It is absolutely horrific and I had to sell it because even though some people might be able to look past it, I definitely cannot.

You can search the Wiz forums and find alot of information about screen tearing. It comes on every device, so mine was not broken or anything. It's a flaw in the design. Eck. Stay away!

GameGavel
09-10-09, 08:03
That sucks! I've never heard of this "screen trearing". It doesn't do it on older model GP2X's, or if it does I've never noticed it?

miner2049er
09-10-09, 08:12
I'm not sure why people would even buy one tbh when the PSP does it all so well (modded of course but that is not difficult) and the screen is gorgeous.

Chris
09-10-09, 08:39
That sucks! I've never heard of this "screen trearing". It doesn't do it on older model GP2X's, or if it does I've never noticed it?

Yeah, it's only on the Wiz that this occurs. There are threads on it in the GP2x wiz forums, but not nearly as many as there should be. This is a glaring issue to me, but many people seem to just notice it but don't care. I couldn't stand it.

Miner, the PSP thing just seems like a constant cat and mouse game where I'd constantly have to be dodging Sony firmware updates and such. I'd hate to get into that.

I wonder how the Dingoo A320 is.........

Chris
09-10-09, 08:58
See my attached picture. Do you see the faint horizontal line cutting across the screen from top right to bottom left? You see this line whenever (1) there is a "fade to black" or other kind of transition between screens or (2) you are playing a game where there is movement from left to right (sidescrollers, etc).

You may see it on more occasions, but it presents itself as an invisible line distortion and it's pretty obvious to me. I was playing Excitebike for example and it seemed like the line was always there.

miner2049er
09-10-09, 09:27
I would return that as a defective device and have done with it.

Chris
09-10-09, 09:31
I would return that as a defective device and have done with it.

I would to, the only problem is that every wiz is like that. And if you go to the forums over there, lots of people don't seem to mind it that much. There is talk that a firmware update is "coming soon" to fix that (for those people who hate it, that is).

alyinsanfran
09-10-09, 09:55
You know Chris, I'd hang onto it. Looks like you've already flicked it on though.

A few years back I had a similar problem after buying a GP32blu+. The blu+ model had a line that went through it no matter what you were doing. It really sucked. But after a while (a few months) the devs upgraded their emulators/homebrew with a fix. It took longer than I'd have liked, but I wound up with a great little unit.

I would imagine this will happen with the Wiz too. Having said that, the Dingoo looks like a nice toy too.... we're rather spoilt for choice at the moment!

teknohed
09-11-09, 08:21
Game Set Watch (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/11/its_still_thinking_hypertensio.php)

Has posted an interesting "trailer" for a game called "Hypertension". I was initially interested because these guys are releasing this shooter for the Dreamcast, but I noticed that it is apparently being released for GP2X.

Thought I'd post it up here to get your take on it given that you guys own GP2Xs.

CargoRunner
21-04-10, 11:17
Call me mad but I like the old GP2x control stick - especially if you replaced the cap. I played a lot of genesis games on the go using it. I bought the white mark 2 version with the D pad but preferred the stick so almost never used the white touch screen version. As I did not like the D pad I decided to avoid the gp2x wiz.

Leathco
16-05-10, 03:07
OK, I need either talked into or out of this thing. I'm STRONGLY considering ordering the Wiz, the leather case, the handstrap, and a screen protector to have a nice handheld package. I used to use a PSP for handheld emulation, but parted ways with it a few months back for some extra cash and better handheld options floating around out there, such as the Pandora. However, I didn't preorder Pandora and it looks like I won't get one til the second batch comes out, which could be sometime in 2011, and quite frankly I don't wanna wait that long, and the iPhone, as great as some games are, gets long in the tooth, especially in cases where I rebuy games I already own. So, I'm thinking about the Wiz. I HAD a Dingoo, but the screen busted and I tried to solder in two replacement screens, neither worked so I guess the problems go deeper than the screen. Rather than buying another Dingoo, I think I like the Wiz for the extra CPU power.

Here's my questions: how are the emulators? Obviously, NES, SNES, and Gen games should run well, but does it have the power to run PS1 and N64? Does it have emulators for more obscure stuff, like Sega CD and 32X? Hows MAME run on it? Can MAME handle the more classic beatemups like TMNT and Simpsons?

Also, how is the touchscreen implementation, good or poor response? Is there any homebrew that takes advantage of the touchscreen?

And if I decide to get this thing, could a kind soul point me to where the good emulators are downloaded at? If possibly, I'd like to just pull em all down at once, slap them on a 16 gig SD card, and call it good.

GameGavel
16-05-10, 03:36
I am in the same decision phase. I need to get one or the other. Which one is better for EMU's as that is the only thing I would be using it for. I have a GP2X so assuming I can use my same mini card and use on the Wiz. I hate the joystick on the GP2X, so is the direction pad better? What about the touch screen for EMU, any one using it? And I hope the battery life is better than the GP2X. It runs out in about 30 mins.

lestat1uk
18-05-10, 12:05
I have a gp2x, i also bought a power lead for it, so i spent most of my time connected to the mains, which is not good for something that is suppose to be "handheld". As far as the dingoo A320, the company that does the dingoo A320 has just recently said that the A330 is coming out soon. I have a A320 and i really like it, it is very simple to use, the A320 only becomes abit more complicated is when you try to install dingux on the A320, it took me sometime to figure it out, dingux is where the good stuff is, things like mame, doom, vice, it also dual boots with the A320 orignal menu. In fact i like the A320 so much i have bought one for both my cousin and my brother, and a friend at work (who were really impressed with my A320). I am not sure about the "wiz" it looks really nice, but i heard about the d-pad being a bit "dodgy" on games like street fighter, with the screen tear as well not good, which is a shame. I have a psp, and Uk is right it is a good for emulation, but i did not like the way the screen stretches on mame or vice, yuk!.

Leathco
18-05-10, 09:00
Well, I took the bite and ordered one from gp2xstore.com. I ordered a refurbished one for 129.99 (better than 180 for new, though they had a sale you can get one new for 150), as well as the leather case and the wrist strap/telescoping stylus/card holder pack. I didn't get the screen protector, I'd rather get a generic one and cut it to size than pay 5 bucks for a single one. Altogether after shipping I spent about 170 (though I did get a step up from basic shipping). According to USPS tracking it'll be here either Wednesday or Thursday (not bad going from Cali to Indiana).

I'll post a review a week after I get it so I can play with it some first, but I'll give my initial thoughts after perusing forums and youtube videos.

1. Pandora hurt this thing for it not being out. Many devs skipped this one and went straight to Pandora. A shame looking at the Pandoras delays. Still, there's plenty of gaming goodness out for this thing, just not as much as the GP2X f200. All the main emus are covered, as well as ports of Doom, Quake 1 and 2, and original titles. I'm sure I'll love the Pandora once it finally releases, but the delays hurt it. Development seems to be quite slow for being barely a year old, but development is continuing, its not dead yet.

2. Triangle screen split for fast moving games. I saw videos of this, and in many games it takes some speed to get it to show. Think Sonic 2 when you speed around the levels, thats the worst I saw. I think I can bear with it, but others should check youtube videos to see if they can put up with it or not.

3. For some reason, TV-Out is GONE. They had it in the older models, I have no clue why it's not in this one. It's a shame, as its a feature I used some on my Dingoo, as well as my clone handhelds. Not a dealbreaker for me, but it still sucks.

4. System speed seems pretty good. The ARM9 chip is clocked at 533 (a welcome upgrade from the originals dual chip 200), but supposedly can be overclocked to between 760 and 800 on most units, with some units hitting 900. This should be a GREAT help in the MAME emulator. There's also a GPU, but so far only the port of Quake uses it, which is a shame. Here's hoping someone could use it for PS1 stuff, as it working in conjunction with the CPU could possibly give us fullspeed PS1 emulation. It has 1 GB NAND storage with SDHC expandable storage. I've got a 16GB card I'll be using.

5. Proprietary USB port. Ugh. I'll test hooking the cable to a generic USB power brick and see if charging works on that. It'll suck if it'll only charge on PC or GPH's power adapter, especially since their power adapter is out of stock everywhere I've looked!

6. OLED screen. I had one on a Zune HD (resold the unit later) and its really a great format for a screen, sharp and crisp and great response time. Be careful of burn-in though!

The review will be a multi-part review just like my Dingoo a320 review, part 1 focusing on hardware, 2 on firmware, 3 on emulators. Might go deep on certain emulators like MAME, necessitating a part 4 or even 5. If anyone has a specific question just ask, I'll do my best to answer or throw up a video for you.

Leathco
24-05-10, 06:00
I'll post a video review later, but short and sweet:

Screen Tearing - Upgraded to firmware 1.2.1, and its not as bad in games like Sonic 2. Its still noticeable in games where the screen flashes repeatedly or there's a flash and than a fade. Not a dealbreaker for me though. Sonic going fullspeed in Sonic CD didn't trigger the tearing.

Battery Life - Played GBA games with the processor set at 533, battery lasted around six and a half hours.

Compatibility - Not bad, not awesome though. Mother 3 on GBA isn't working. Mario RPG didn't run. Action 52 (NES) ran, but didn't load the games after you got to the game list. These could be fixed by updated emulators though, if the devs make them.

Hardware - The D-Pad feels fine to me. Every once in a while I'll duck when I mean to go left or right, but its a rare occurance. The should buttons are large and feel fine. Face buttons feel a little iffy, there's some play in them. System feels light, a bit lighter than the Gen Mobile. Touchscreen is hardly used, you can use it for some of the built in games and the menu system, but the menu system can be driven by face buttons and D-Pad too, which I'd rather use. It's NOT a touchscreen like the iPhone or Zune, not a nice glass one but the plastic layer one. The SD reader works fine solely on the system, but using it as an SD reader resulted in horrible transfer speeds on a 16 gb sd card. Use a different card reader.

Accessories - Skip the screen protector, buy a generic one and cut to size, it'll work better. Leather case is a must have, has a plastic mold inside that holds the system in place so you can play in the case, and also has 4 SD card holders and credit card sized holders as well. The Accessory Pack is a maybe purchase, the wrist strap is nicely made, the telescoping stylus is awesome, but I don't like the rubber SD card holder that comes with it. Besides, do you really need a 5th SD card holder when the case already has 4?

Other games - I've played a few nice ports of Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Tyrian, Super Mario War, Supertux, and Descent. All of em performed nicely with decent speed. There seems to be a limited amount of software ports available though, it seems like many devs are already focusing exclusively on Pandora, which is a shame as the Wiz is a competent handheld for over 100 less, 200 less depending on where you order it.

Socal, if you want one, go to gp2xstore.com. They have refurb units for 129, and brand new for 149. Looks like other places are selling for 179. My refurb unit came in the original box and had all the original accessories, and works fine.

Leathco
24-05-10, 06:00
I'll post a video review later, but short and sweet:

Screen Tearing - Upgraded to firmware 1.2.1, and its not as bad in games like Sonic 2. Its still noticeable in games where the screen flashes repeatedly or there's a flash and than a fade. Not a dealbreaker for me though. Sonic going fullspeed in Sonic CD didn't trigger the tearing.

Battery Life - Played GBA games with the processor set at 533, battery lasted around six and a half hours.

Compatibility - Not bad, not awesome though. Mother 3 on GBA isn't working. Mario RPG didn't run. Action 52 (NES) ran, but didn't load the games after you got to the game list. These could be fixed by updated emulators though, if the devs make them.

Hardware - The D-Pad feels fine to me. Every once in a while I'll duck when I mean to go left or right, but its a rare occurance. The should buttons are large and feel fine. Face buttons feel a little iffy, there's some play in them. System feels light, a bit lighter than the Gen Mobile. Touchscreen is hardly used, you can use it for some of the built in games and the menu system, but the menu system can be driven by face buttons and D-Pad too, which I'd rather use. It's NOT a touchscreen like the iPhone or Zune, not a nice glass one but the plastic layer one. The SD reader works fine solely on the system, but using it as an SD reader resulted in horrible transfer speeds on a 16 gb sd card. Use a different card reader.

Accessories - Skip the screen protector, buy a generic one and cut to size, it'll work better. Leather case is a must have, has a plastic mold inside that holds the system in place so you can play in the case, and also has 4 SD card holders and credit card sized holders as well. The Accessory Pack is a maybe purchase, the wrist strap is nicely made, the telescoping stylus is awesome, but I don't like the rubber SD card holder that comes with it. Besides, do you really need a 5th SD card holder when the case already has 4?

Other games - I've played a few nice ports of Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Tyrian, Super Mario War, Supertux, and Descent. All of em performed nicely with decent speed. There seems to be a limited amount of software ports available though, it seems like many devs are already focusing exclusively on Pandora, which is a shame as the Wiz is a competent handheld for over 100 less, 200 less depending on where you order it.

Socal, if you want one, go to gp2xstore.com. They have refurb units for 129, and brand new for 149. Looks like other places are selling for 179. My refurb unit came in the original box and had all the original accessories, and works fine.

EDIT: Oops, double post.

It looks like they have begun shipping the Pandora, if look at their web site and blog. Tax time I may pick up next year.

lestat1uk
30-05-10, 06:07
i was wondering if you knew? that the wiz has been cancelled, i just saw it over on the forums :

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53776-caanoo-the-new-gph-console/page__st__60__p__862065&#entry862065

Leathco
30-05-10, 08:16
Sad to see an open handheld die, even worse the replacement looks.....I dunno. I may be jumping on the Pandora bandwagon. The Wiz was only out for a year.....they couldn't even keep it floating for a year.

And even worse, now there are black specks all over the screen! They better not be dead pixels....I mean there's a TON of spots on it.

miner2049er
30-05-10, 08:37
I think once the Pandora hits a price point it would have killed the Wiz anyway.

The major downfall for me with the Pandora is the screen resolution. It needs to be 1024 wide to be of any use as a browser.

Clearly that is not its primary use but it will be a big part of it.

My minibook only has the same 800x480 that the Pandora has and it forces you to side scroll some websites which is very very very very very annoying.

lestat1uk
31-05-10, 12:17
the replacement does look bad, i heard they will be using an analog stick on it to, it is a shame gamepark cannot get it together and try and bring out a device to challenge the Pandora.

I agree with you Miner, it is a pain to try and surf the net on a small screen, but you would not use it to long, but hey, i use my iphone to accasionally check out the net (emails that sort of thing). I have a laptop for real surfing, the way i see it is the Pandora had to have wifi, i think it was there intention to have online gaming, and maybe the internet is just an extra.

Leathco
04-06-10, 01:47
Pictures of screen probs:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7439/sdc10815n.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/sdc10815n.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8910/sdc10816d.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/sdc10816d.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

lestat1uk
06-06-10, 09:03
whoa!, those are some nasty pixels, do they appear on the games as well?, as they look abit like dead or stuck pixels. :(

lestat1uk
06-06-10, 09:09
i found this on the forum, but no solution, just other people with the same problem :
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/48089-stuck-dead-pixels-help/page__st__60