PDA

View Full Version : C64 Emulator For iPhone Approved!

Mmmbacon
06-09-09, 05:13
Awesome news!

The C64 Emulator for the iPhone (which was initially rejected by the schizo's in Apple's app store) has been approved and is now available for $4.99. Icludes 5 games: Dragons Den, Le Mans, Jupiter Lander, Arctic Shipwreck, and Jack Attack. Additional separately sold game packs will be coming soon. On the downside, you can't run just any c64 disk image, it must be a fully licensed image approved by Apple. Sure, it would be nice take the images we've collected over the years and run them with this, but there is no way the App would have ever gotten approved by Apple if the emulator was that "open".

Not only is this great news for C64 fans, hopefully it set the model for other systems to follow. Cough*ATARI*Cough...

TouchArcade's announcement/review of the app:
http://toucharcade.com/2009/09/05/c64-emulator-approved-by-apple-and-now-available/

GameGavel
06-09-09, 06:16
Great. I've been waiting for this one to come out. Downloading now. A review will be forthing coming on RGRoundup.

Mmmbacon
08-09-09, 07:03
Cool. Looking forward to your thoughts on it. You don't have to give the review away now, but what are your opinions on how it controls (in game) ?

Mmmbacon
09-09-09, 03:43
Hope you got it while it was available as Apple has pulled it from the appstore AGAIN, this time for "hiding an undocumented feature". It seems that the whole issues with the initial denial of the app hinged on the fact that it allowed execution of code in a basic interpreter. They removed this feature and the app was approved by Apple. But, its seems they only hid the feature and did not remove it. Below is the authors explanation and a link to the Wired article.

"Unfortunately Apple this night pulled the C64 App from the App Store. We had agreed with Apple to remove basic from the application, but as we believed it would be possible to convince Apple to let it in later on, we left it in the app to be activated remotely by us when we had “go” from Apple.

[A] new version has been submitted to Apple, and we can only hope Apple will appreciate our efforts to apply the changes they need in order to put it back on"

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/iphone-c64-emulator-approved-by-apple-removed-again-for-hiding-banned-feature/

GameGavel
09-09-09, 04:29
Wow. That sucks. I am sure they will get it back up there, I hope. I really want more game packs to come out for it.

bill_loguidice
09-09-09, 09:41
I agree about the packs thing. I fully expect the controls to suck, but I imagine *some* games would work reasonably well, and it's something worth supporting to see where it can go. When it's available again, I'm going to buy it.

Mmmbacon
12-09-09, 05:32
I agree Bill, if we support it, this model could hopefully pave the way for other emu's to make it to the iPhone.

teknohed
17-09-09, 06:18
I think the only way that something like this will actually fly on the official app store is if someone puts an app up that is a "platform for emulation". The problem with a direct emulation of C64 (unless it's created through some licensing deal or something) is that Apple is never going to allow you to download something that you could use to play pirated roms on. I'm not sure how it would owrk. And I would hope it WOULD work. Obviously with C64 on Wii there are some companies who still hold rights to some of those games that would love to publish them on the iPhone. Those companies are never going to let someone release an emulator that could let you play last ninja for free if they could port it to iPhone separately.