PDA

View Full Version : August 09 Podcast LIVE! Discuss right here.

GameGavel
26-08-09, 01:12
http://retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW
Your own Jukebox Part 2 (Scott) - (00:00)
Book Review - (17:33)
Review of the BBC Micro Computers (23:57)
Swap Talk - (40:03)
Yars Revenge Read Along Book - (67:07)
The NES Game Challenge - (79:07)
Top Ten Pinball Innovations - See our results - (82:17)
It Came From MAME - (221:28)
The British Hour - (229:20)
News And Mailbag - (238:10)
Gaming Expos - (301:16)
URLs and E-Mails - (310:30)

bill_loguidice
26-08-09, 03:12
I've been touting the new show everywhere I can, of course, but besides another typically fine show (not even halfway through it yet), on behalf of Matt Barton and myself I'd like to officially thank you for a wonderful review of our "Vintage Games" book. We were particularly impressed with how well you described what the book was about and how it all ties together. I think that's been a challenge for us to do since we've so close to the subject matter for so long.

The next release will be "Wii Fitness for Dummies" written by me and my wife, but that doesn't really apply to anything that you guys do. However, not too long thereafter that should be the release of the feature film documentary Matt and I are doing for Lux Digital Pictures on the complete history of videogames, and we'll be happy to give you guys whatever access you wish with that. Thanks again!

GameGavel
26-08-09, 05:21
My pleasure, Bill. It truly is a great book and destined to become a classic among gamers, for sure.

Also, a note to my buddy UK Mike. Dude, I have to say that you about got me in trouble last night. I was listening to our entire show starting at about 10:00 PM last night while sleeping - just hearing a run through when a couple hours into it, during our top-10 debate, you cut in with a truly hilarious bit when I leave for a moment :) I about died laughing and it was like 1 in the morning. If I wake Tricia up she would be pissed. It was all I could to do contain myself, but damn was I about ready to explode. Very nice !!

miner2049er
26-08-09, 08:27
HAHA! I know the bit you mean. LOL.

I was laughing my ass off mixing that together. Also, I think it works really well where we chat while Scott is away, the listeners and ourselves are in on the secret but not Scott. All in all the top ten was really good I think.

I hope that review copy of the book will be winging its way over the Atlantic soon. ;)

bill_loguidice
27-08-09, 03:18
The top ten list (which I just finished listening to) was very, very good this month, much better than last month, which I thought you guys didn't seem prepared for or into as much, which made it rather awkward. This month's was terribly informative and quite interesting, and I hope that future ones will attain that difficult mix.

I'd love to see you guys cover Ultra Pin Video Pinball:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraPin . All I know of it is that it's highly controversial, but superficially anyway it seems the pinball equivalent of a good MAME cabinet, i.e., the best bang for the buck in a single unit. One of my future plans (several years in the future) is to replace my Zizzle Marvel pinball machine with a real machine, like a Family Guy or something, but this Ultra Pin seems like it makes even more sense from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint much like my MAME cabinet is over a single dedicated game. I think it would make an interesting pros/cons discussion and I'd like to hear about it from gentlemen who know the ins and outs of real pinball but also have the perspective of the videogame hobby in general.

GameGavel
27-08-09, 04:26
The top ten list (which I just finished listening to) was very, very good this month, much better than last month, which I thought you guys didn't seem prepared for or into as much, which made it rather awkward. This month's was terribly informative and quite interesting, and I hope that future ones will attain that difficult mix.

I'd love to see you guys cover Ultra Pin Video Pinball:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraPin . All I know of it is that it's highly controversial, but superficially anyway it seems the pinball equivalent of a good MAME cabinet, i.e., the best bang for the buck in a single unit. One of my future plans (several years in the future) is to replace my Zizzle Marvel pinball machine with a real machine, like a Family Guy or something, but this Ultra Pin seems like it makes even more sense from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint much like my MAME cabinet is over a single dedicated game. I think it would make an interesting pros/cons discussion and I'd like to hear about it from gentlemen who know the ins and outs of real pinball but also have the perspective of the videogame hobby in general.

Ya, covering ultra pinball is a cool idea. I actually played one at CAX and my initial impressions were, "Wow, this is very cool". It would be an interesting thing to own, for sure. A definite conversation piece. But with that being said, it really wasn't nearly the same as playing a real table. It was more the "cool" factor than actual playability. But I liked it. They are still quite expensive, around $5,000 I think but it does serve up some decent pinball play, and the table selection is quite good. If the prices come down a bit I would be quite tempted to pick one up, though.

bill_loguidice
27-08-09, 04:42
Ya, covering ultra pinball is a cool idea. I actually played one at CAX and my initial impressions were, "Wow, this is very cool". It would be an interesting thing to own, for sure. A definite conversation piece. But with that being said, it really wasn't nearly the same as playing a real table. It was more the "cool" factor than actual playability. But I liked it. They are still quite expensive, around $5,000 I think but it does serve up some decent pinball play, and the table selection is quite good. If the prices come down a bit I would be quite tempted to pick one up, though.

I agree that the price is rather high, but I would think that the screen technology that they use would certainly significantly drop in price to the point where a fully loaded price wouldn't exceed $3500 - $4000 if they're able to pass certain efficiences onto the consumer. My main concern with something like the Ultra Pin would be how well it simulates the tactical response you get from a real pinball machine when the ball impacts anywhere on the screen. Naturally that's the key to the simulation and what makes pinball such a special thing. If that's say 85% there, I'd say it's probably worth it from a single machine/optimized space standpoint, but if say it's 50% or less there, then I suppose one is just better off with the real thing, which in my case would likely be a Family Guy or Simpsons machine. But it's certainly a good debate either way, with pros and cons for each.

Unfortunately I have not seen one in action, nor played one. I've seen what's readily available online.

GameGavel
27-08-09, 04:45
It is cool they have simulated the feel of the flipper solenoid. It actually feels like you are popping real flippers. Very realistic. There is a quick shot of the one at CAX about 1:20 into the first video here:

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/media.html

bill_loguidice
27-08-09, 04:53
It is cool they have simulated the feel of the flipper solenoid. It actually feels like you are popping real flippers. Very realistic. There is a quick shot of the one at CAX about 1:20 into the first video here:

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/media.html

Wow, second hand through the video, it looks like a physical table!

GameGavel
27-08-09, 05:16
If you look closely you will notice the playfield is a bit compressed and even a bit distorted in areas. But still not to bad. They are damn cool!

SubaruBrat
27-08-09, 06:12
I hope that future ones will attain that difficult mix.

The mix was 2 Americans and a Brit and about 38 beers. No prob, we will probably be able to reproduce that.

As for Ultra pin, that one we talked about some, although a full review is not a bad idea. Thing is the ones that are out there, mostly sitting in a warehouse, are all there are. They aren't in production and it was a colossal failure as a product in the commercial sense. I don't recall the exact figures but from memory they made around 700 of the things and started the price around 8k and kept dropping it and most are not sold. Will the price make it down into the 3k ~ 4k range? Maybe, or they might just hold onto them out of spite. I played the machine and I like it, I would own one but more as a novelty. And as a novelty I would pay maybe 2k for one but certainly not more. I could see a commercial venue paying around 4k new, about the price of a new Stern. But more than that and there is no market, it won't earn more than a normal pin at best. I am really baffled at what they were thinking when they rolled it out for that price, nice machine but collectors won't pay that much for a novelty and businesses can't make their money back.

RedWolfJC
27-08-09, 07:03
My pleasure, Bill. It truly is a great book and destined to become a classic among gamers, for sure.

Also, a note to my buddy UK Mike. Dude, I have to say that you about got me in trouble last night. I was listening to our entire show starting at about 10:00 PM last night while sleeping - just hearing a run through when a couple hours into it, during our top-10 debate, you cut in with a truly hilarious bit when I leave for a moment :) I about died laughing and it was like 1 in the morning. If I wake Tricia up she would be pissed. It was all I could to do contain myself, but damn was I about ready to explode. Very nice !!

Hilarious, probably the best bit of the show, well done!

Excellent show as always guys, only thing bad about it is having to wait a month for the next one... Keep up the good work...
Oh yeah, Lane Change- Definitely in :D

Jerky
28-08-09, 02:32
...only thing bad about it is having to wait a month for the next one...

That's why I have to listen to each show twice a month. I usually listen a second time when I have to spend 4 to 5 hours doing yardwork.

I'm just getting to Scott's picks in the top 10 list.

Listen to SoCal! Dropping the F-bombs like crazy! At least you realized that your were doing it.

GameGavel
28-08-09, 02:59
Ya, I normally try and keep my end of the show PG, but wasn't happening in August.

Hey all, special request, if you are enjoying the show, and podcasting through Itunes, please consider posting a review on Itunes. The more reviews we have, good or not so good, I think it helps with our ranking when people search for gaming podcasts.

Glad you're enjoying the August show :)

RedWolfJC
28-08-09, 05:33
Hey all, special request, if you are enjoying the show, and podcasting through Itunes, please consider posting a review on Itunes. The more reviews we have, good or not so good, I think it helps with our ranking when people search for gaming podcasts.

Posted a review there, and rated :STM:STM:STM:STM:STM.

GameGavel
28-08-09, 05:57
Cool. We appreciate it :PH

BydoEmpire73
31-08-09, 02:31
I loved UK Mike's overview of the BBC Micro. As always, great segment. For us US gamers, it's like discovering a whole new parallel universe.

miner2049er
31-08-09, 02:45
Thanks Bydo, I'm glad you like those segments. Every couple of months I like to do something UK specific for those very reasons.

readboy
06-09-09, 10:23
UK Mike, loved the Wales portion, I was out walking with my headphones on and pissing myself laughing, not sure what other people thought of my antics, but what the f**k. Also enjoyed the BBC Micro section, I owned one back in 84/85 so that brought back some great memories.

Socal, enjoyed the return of the boot sale (swap meets) section. Do this kind of thing myself, getting the best possible price is half the fun.

BydoEmpire73
08-09-09, 12:01
This month's top 10 was one of the most entertaining segments in any of the shows so far. I loved Mike & Mike's collusion to throw out Scott's pick when he went to take a phone call. Just good stuff all around.

Chris
10-09-09, 04:11
A great show as usual. You guys are doing a great job. If I had one request, it would be to slightly tone down the language. That's just my opinion, you are of course okay to say whatever you wish and I know you can't satisfy ever little whim that the listeners have. Just my input. Carry on :SAM:

GameGavel
10-09-09, 04:15
A great show as usual. You guys are doing a great job. If I had one request, it would be to slightly tone down the language. That's just my opinion, you are of course okay to say whatever you wish and I know you can't satisfy ever little whim that the listeners have. Just my input. Carry on :SAM:

I will def try to use the F word less. I was a bit on the tipsy side in August :) I normally don't drop the F bomb often. It's Scotty you need to worry about :)

Chris
10-09-09, 04:20
I will def try to use the F word less. I was a bit on the tipsy side in August :) I normally don't drop the F bomb often. It's Scotty you need to worry about :)

Haha, yes, Scott was quite foul.

Hey I was listening to the end of it today and you mentioned the Too Many Games convention in Oaks...that's literally in my back yard! I was a little bit stunned that Oaks made the news.

miner2049er
13-09-09, 01:52
A great show as usual. You guys are doing a great job. If I had one request, it would be to slightly tone down the language.

We have the philosophy that we don't go out to try and drop the F bomb for the sake of it, but if it happens, it happens and so be it, which is why we carry the explicit tag for the occasions when it does.

We aren't gratuitous with it and sorry if it offends, but we will try and keep SoCal sober and prevent his Tourette's in future.

niftyifty
13-09-09, 07:36
I thought August's show was the most hilarious so far - So Cal actually made me LOL madly at one point while sat at my desk at work - raised eyebrows in the office all round!! :-)

Also just wanted to say what a great job you guys are doing - I really liked the in depth coverage on how to build your own MAME cab, It has inspired me to seek out the bits to build one. So far I have an RGB Scart>VGA and an Ultimarc PCI-e card so will see how it goes from there :-)

Am definitely feeling the retrogaming love from you guys and hope the show goes from strength to strength.

All the best,
Naz

GameGavel
13-09-09, 09:50
Thanks for listening! Sorry to give you a chuckle during work :BLEH:

njs
27-09-09, 12:28
I was really interested in the discussion about licensing in pins. Scott seemed not to happy about te whole concept but, this idea has been around for a lot longer than most people appreciate. There are a number of pins that Diane and I joke about being "unofficially licensed" pins. Attack from Mars = Mars Attacks, Bonebusters = Ghostbusters, and I don't know how many times we get requests for Happy Days (= Eight Ball) from customers. The list is endless. The earliest example Diane is aware of is Beat Time (go check it out on ipdb). So, the licensing thing has been with us for quite some time unless you are talking about the actual money being paid to IP owners part of the equation.

Ultimately, I guess I don't have an opinion on it one way or another. It seems to keep Stern in business (or at least, they argue that it does) so, that is a mark in its favor. I know for the early licensing it was a bad thing in that the companies tended to throw those games at their new pin designers because the license would draw quarters. So, those early licensed titles tend to be pretty dire (Bally's Star Trek leaps to mind). Given that Indiana Jones and Flash Gordon are two of my favorite pins (except for the part about having to look at Sam Jones on the FG backglass), I guess I can't really argue all that strongly against it.

Nick

SubaruBrat
29-09-09, 04:16
I like many licensed pins and I am not unhappy with the idea of using a license, some of favorite pins are from licenses. Can you imagine "Smooch" instead of KISS, or "Dragons and Dark Places" instead of Dungeons and Dragons?

I just don't think that a license is a magic bullet and the only way to go.