PDA

View Full Version : Official June 2009 Podcast Thread

Jerky
02-07-09, 03:22
Solid episode. Well done, boys!

Highlight for me was the Jeri Ellsworth interview. I loved how Jeri tried to pull SoCal into the conversation. I'd probably be folding laundry myself while Scott and Jeri talked about radioactive isotopes...

UK Mike--I never thought about using DOS for a MAME cabinet, but now I'm intrigued. What would you say would be the limits on HDD size, RAM, CPU for DOS?

Scott--Astrotit rules. I voted for Custer's Revenge however.

GameGavel
02-07-09, 03:36
Solid episode. Well done, boys!

Highlight for me was the Jeri Ellsworth interview. I loved how Jeri tried to pull SoCal into the conversation. I'd probably be folding laundry myself while Scott and Jeri talked about radioactive isotopes...

UK Mike--I never thought about using DOS for a MAME cabinet, but now I'm intrigued. What would you say would be the limits on HDD size, RAM, CPU for DOS?

Scott--Astrotit rules. I voted for Custer's Revenge however.

Ya, I was pretty much lost during most of the interview. I admit :)

miner2049er
02-07-09, 08:48

I guess you mean lower limits as you can still put DOS on anything pretty much. The limits are actually related to MAME rather than DOS itself. I tried it on a PC with a 667Mhz CPU and while it worked, the games were slow to launch and not all of them worked.

My current DOS build is on a PC with I think an 800Mhz CPU, 512MB of RAM (may be 1GB, I don't recall) and a 10GB Hard Drive.

Like I said, the limits are set by MAME rather than DOS but I use dmame 0.66 and its full ROM set and it used to fit on a 8GB drive but when it failed I replaced it with a 10GB drive.

The toughest bit without doubt is tracking down a Creative Soundblaster and getting the drivers to work.

SubaruBrat
03-07-09, 01:02
My experiences are similar. I have two MAME machines running DOS. One is a 1.2ghz AMD and one is a 900ish Mhz PIII, both have around 512Mb RAM, 8~20GB HD. Both run MAME .66 and I do not have the CHD games. I autodelete all the sports games, majhong games and out of the remaining games almost all run fine. If you want area51 forget about it, but pretty much any classic runs great.

Also, video cards on both are in the realm of 32mb TNT2.

IG-88
04-07-09, 01:35
You guys need to try Spystyles Boot CD if you want an easy to setup DOS machine:

http://tinyurl.com/55opbg

I've got the classics, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac, DK, ect. several hundred of them in fact to run on a P75 with 16mb of ram. (Full speed I might add) It uses DOS, and your choice of mame versions. Comes with the sound drivers included and is a snap to set up. I've put it on loads of old computers that otherwise would've went in the garbage. I recommend soundblaster cards tho (ISA actually worked best for me but PCI worked too). If you have any questions, let me know.

miner2049er
04-07-09, 04:27
Yeah, I've seen similar boot disks before with preconfigured MAME, and if you just want the classics, or most of them, they will do the job on a low spec box, but for a more full ROMset you need to be looking at a higher spec machine.

I have a couple of ISA card here that are as yet untested.

If I get a machine old enough to have a slot I'll give them a whirl.

Jerky
11-07-09, 09:35
I started listening to the June show again and got through the Jeri Ellsworth interview. This was the first time that I saw her online.

I wasn't aware of her C64 and engineering credentials. When I saw this a few years ago, I was like, "Wow! Who's the roller-skating chick?"

http://coin-op.tv/?p=10

She shows up at around the 7:30 mark.

Chris
19-07-09, 11:56
As usual, the Top 10 segment is the highlight of the show for me. I love when you guys are all together talking. The monologues, especially when they get really technical, are just very over my head. Although UK Mike's intro to the interview with Jeri was HILARIOUS, I actually did have to turn it off because the breathing was just too much.

I miss Socal Mike talking about the auction finds, that was interesting. I also love the occasional retro commercials between segments. Overall, I really like the show.

GameGavel
20-07-09, 12:45
We have the July show in the can too. Shoud be uploaded very soon. A good one !!

teknohed
02-08-09, 12:00
Just finished the June podcast. I know I"m a little behind schedule. It's funny after how unreliable Retro GAming Radio used to be to think that I'd actually be BEHIND on my shows rather than listening to teh May show in JUly...because it hadn't been released till then.

Anyway, thoughts. Great show. However, I thought that Scott was joking when he said "who's Kraftwerk?" I mean really? O cam understand not LIKING Kraftwerk, but not even knowing who they are? How can you work with rockets and not know the band who did "Space Lab" and "Pocket Calculator".

Sheesh. The other thing I wanted to comment on was Mike's mention of Pizza Time Theatre. Man I hated that place. I have always been creeped out by animatronics. The only time I ever went was around '82. I would have been about seven or so, and I was too terrified to eat my pizza. I thought the whole thing was scary than clowns at the circus.

Also, thanks UK mike for not doing another auto related game. I'm a big fan of flight sims but I know better than to bore everyone in the room with a discussion of them. Those kinds of games are almost tangential to classic gaming. I mean a lot of peopel are into sim games...but if you're not a car or plane nut it's kind of hard to sit through a 30 minute discussion of a sim game.

SubaruBrat
02-08-09, 05:18
That is what I love about the show, even as a host I learn some new great stuff all the time.

I have dabbled in sims here and there, of course MS Flight Sim most of all. As a pilot and plane nut they are nice to have but I would rather be out flying. For people who want to get real close to flying, but not actually fly, these are great. There are allot of people who do this.