PDA

View Full Version : Found a ZX81 at work

miner2049er
16-06-09, 05:46
Exploring a long forgotten cupboard at work and I've found a boxed ZX81 with leads and a seperate box with a ZX printer and a RAM expansion pack.

Taking them home to test them later.

There is another old computer of some description in there but we can't see it properly yet. It is rumoured to be either a Commodore Pet or a BBC of some description.

lestat1uk
12-08-09, 03:43
wow that is so cool, my first computer :) i still have fond memories of the zx81, the games not loading, the dodgy ram pack (my friend put window putty on his rampack to make it stick to the zx81). i used to sit for hours playing the zx81, i can hardly believe i spent so much time on something that was so limited. I can only think of one reason (other than the arcade) there was nothing better around at the time :) (mazogs was a great and 3d defender :) oooh 3d monster maze)

GameGavel
12-08-09, 04:08
wow that is so cool, my first computer :) i still have fond memories of the zx81, the games not loading, the dodgy ram pack (my friend put window putty on his rampack to make it stick to the zx81). i used to sit for hours playing the zx81, i can hardly believe i spent so much time on something that was so limited. I can only think of one reason (other than the arcade) there was nothing better around at the time :) (mazogs was a great and 3d defender :) oooh 3d monster maze)

I, too had a ZX-81 (well it was Timex Sinclair 1000 over here) and I had Mazogs. I used to love that game. Another one I liked was Robbers of the Lost Tomb. I actually have an unopend Robbers of the Lost Tomb I found at the swap meet. I also like Red Alert and Flight Simulator. Frogger kinda sucked though :)

teknohed
13-08-09, 07:23
Where the heck to you work that they have a boxed ZX spectrum lying around?

Guess I shouldn't judge. Right outside my office is a closet that holds all kinds of weird stuff like a Dolphin and Katana Dev Kit as well as a frankenstien Sega Game Gear that's been hacked to include video out.

miner2049er
13-08-09, 10:09
In a High School, where I also found one of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_PCW

complete with printer.

O, and a box of 8" floppy disks.

teknohed
13-08-09, 10:18
Ah, that makes sense. I'm sure that at my high school there is a closet filled with sad old Apple IIGS and copies of Encarta. Hell, I can remember my Jr. High School had an actual tele-type machine that communicated to some main frame at the district office. And this was in 1989. Can you imagine?