PDA

View Full Version : We Love Knockers - April Podcast Now Available

GameGavel
15-04-09, 02:02
April podcast is now out.

Goto http://www.RetroGamingRoundup.com (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/) Click on Current Show and Enjoy!

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Editorial on What is Retro? Part 1 - (00:00)

Review of the game Supremacy / Overlord - (15:28)

Hardware Flashback on SEGA Dreamcast - (34:38)

Your own Arcade Cab Part 1 (Acquiring the ideal cab) - (57:13)

Top Ten Arcade Cabs - (75:43)

The British Hour - (172:50)

It Came From MAME - Blasted (179:15)

News And Mailbag - (187:10)

Gaming Expos - (217:06)

URLs and EMails - (220:54)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Waterborn
19-04-09, 10:38
Good show, though I am pretty sure that UK Mike is completely loosing it after listening to The British Hour (or should I say 7 1/2 minutes of confusion) this month. I thought he was going to a Monty Python reference when I first heard him mention a badger (OK, so now we build a big wooden badger . . . ), but alas, he descended into a piece that only a Brit could love (and understand for that matter). All in All a great show. Looking forward to part II of the Mame Cab discussion. Looking into a MAME project of my own, so this series is of great interest to me. Keep up the great work gentlemen (and try to get some rest UK Mike).

GameGavel
20-04-09, 01:30
Good show, though I am pretty sure that UK Mike is completely loosing it after listening to The British Hour (or should I say 7 1/2 minutes of confusion) this month. I thought he was going to a Monty Python reference when I first heard him mention a badger (OK, so now we build a big wooden badger . . . ), but alas, he descended into a piece that only a Brit could love (and understand for that matter). All in All a great show. Looking forward to part II of the Mame Cab discussion. Looking into a MAME project of my own, so this series is of great interest to me. Keep up the great work gentlemen (and try to get some rest UK Mike).

I think his Brit hours are hilarious. The next two months he tones things down a bit with a couple nice interviews of me and Scott :)

niftyifty
22-04-09, 07:04
Evening all,
Would just like to say "respect" and "big-up" to you guys for making such an awesome show :-)

Am just about to listen to show 3. Shows 1 and 2 have been spectularly good listening so far and cover a good range of topics. I particularly take my hat off to UK Mike and his SID enthusiasm, So Cal Mike for his unashamed joy at finding a rare cart at a yard sale, and Subaru Brats arcade knowledge and technical enthusiasm :-)

I really liked the other show that Shane R. Monroe presented but - no disrespect to him - this is in a different league! Maybe you could have a link on his page pointing to your round-up now that he does't do his show any more?? Just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work guys and look forward to having a chat on the forums sometime.

Ifty, Lincoln, UK

GameGavel
22-04-09, 08:19
Evening all,
Would just like to say "respect" and "big-up" to you guys for making such an awesome show :-)

Am just about to listen to show 3. Shows 1 and 2 have been spectularly good listening so far and cover a good range of topics. I particularly take my hat off to UK Mike and his SID enthusiasm, So Cal Mike for his unashamed joy at finding a rare cart at a yard sale, and Subaru Brats arcade knowledge and technical enthusiasm :-)

I really liked the other show that Shane R. Monroe presented but - no disrespect to him - this is in a different league! Maybe you could have a link on his page pointing to your round-up now that he does't do his show any more?? Just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work guys and look forward to having a chat on the forums sometime.

Ifty, Lincoln, UK

Coolness! Glad you are liking what we are doing. Show #3 shouldn't disappoint, either :)

animagnum
22-05-09, 05:00
I searched for "retro gaming" on iTunes and the Retro Gaming Roundup was one of the few results. Great show! I am a video game history junkie but I've never really followed arcade games. The discussion on unique arcade cabinets was very educational. You guys really know your stuff.

:DC: The Dreamcast section was a nice retrospective. I got one the year after they were released and spent countless hours playing multiplayer games like Phantasy Star Online and Alien Front Online. AFO came with a mic to use for voice chat, which was awesome and frustrating at the same time because most people were using dial-up to play. The muddled in-game chat ended up sounding like everyone was yelling through soggy cardboard tubes. It didn't help that the omni-directional mics picked up the sounds of the game much easier than they did voices. Despite the problems, the mic was a sweet addition to the game.

I have another arcade game to add to the list. It's definitely not in the top 10 but maybe a distant honorable mention's honorable mention, if such a ranking even exists. I thought it was pretty cool when I first saw it in 1994: Konami's Run and Gun (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9377&letter=R). The four-player version allowed players to play the basketball game from the correct sides of the court. The game itself was so-so, but the cabinet arrangement is what really made it fun.

GameGavel
22-05-09, 07:17
I searched for "retro gaming" on iTunes and the Retro Gaming Roundup was one of the few results. Great show! I am a video game history junkie but I've never really followed arcade games. The discussion on unique arcade cabinets was very educational. You guys really know your stuff.

:DC: The Dreamcast section was a nice retrospective. I got one the year after they were released and spent countless hours playing multiplayer games like Phantasy Star Online and Alien Front Online. AFO came with a mic to use for voice chat, which was awesome and frustrating at the same time because most people were using dial-up to play. The muddled in-game chat ended up sounding like everyone was yelling through soggy cardboard tubes. It didn't help that the omni-directional mics picked up the sounds of the game much easier than they did voices. Despite the problems, the mic was a sweet addition to the game.

I have another arcade game to add to the list. It's definitely not in the top 10 but maybe a distant honorable mention's honorable mention, if such a ranking even exists. I thought it was pretty cool when I first saw it in 1994: Konami's Run and Gun (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9377&letter=R). The four-player version allowed players to play the basketball game from the correct sides of the court. The game itself was so-so, but the cabinet arrangement is what really made it fun.

Glad ya found the Roundup'. May's episode should be available any day so stay tuned :DKB

miner2049er
22-05-09, 08:16

Thanks for the feedback, there is more great arcade talk in this month's show too which will be up sometime this weekend

I have never seena Run And Gun but that's a big cab.

Cynicaster
07-06-11, 04:53
I've been gradually taking in some of the back catalog of shows and I was listening to this one yesterday. Great show as always. I know it was recorded a long time ago, but I just have to ask: how many chardonnays did Scott have before recording the top 10? :D :D