PDA

View Full Version : The Difficult Second Album

miner2049er
15-03-09, 10:25
Well folks, show number 2 is out so go and grab it.

It's another long show but to help you out we put timestamps on the site and in the shownotes so you can break it into smaller chunks if that fits your listening habits better.

The feedback we got was that the majority preferred the longer shows as they had a month to listen to it but for those that didn't we went for this compromise.

If you podcatch the show (http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss), be sure to visit our website retrogamingroundup.com (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com) where you can download the bonus outtakes from our recording sessions this month.

What are you sitting there reading for? Go and grab it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video Game Piracy - (00:00)
The Video Game Hunter - (66:44)
The Prestel Machine - (73:02)
LIVE! From Auction - (97:56)
Pinball Q & A - (112:57)
The British Hour - (196:52)
Top Ten Game Soundtracks - (203:22)
It Came From Mame - (260:47)
Tech Questions - (266:30)
Missile Command on iPhone - (274:09)
News and Mailbag - (282:17)
Gaming Expos - (321:35)
Links and URLs - (331:30)

Trooper
16-03-09, 10:30
Great stuff! I downloaded yesterday and started listening to the show on my way to work today and I'm almost done with the piracydiscussion, very interesting and I am really looking forward to listening to the rest of the show!

Thanks for putting these out and please keep 'em coming! We really needed a new retroshow, almost all of the other retrorelated shows out there thinks that retro only stretches back to the SNES/Megadrive and/or have really stupid dumbasses running the show.

Once again thanks for stepping up to the plate delivering the best damn retrogaming podcast I've heard in a long long time!

Chewieshmoo
16-03-09, 12:01
I love the discussion on Pirating, very thorough. I am glad you covered the "levels" of pirating because I agree there are a lot of arguments about where the line should be drawn. It is NOT a clear cut issue as some preach it is.

bill_loguidice
16-03-09, 09:18
I can't quite pin it down - perhaps it's getting into a groove as a listener after the first episode - but I'm enjoying episode 2 even more than episode 1 so far, though I'm only about 80 minutes in. Nice job.

Flare
16-03-09, 09:35
Unlike Halo, where the good part is 4 hours in; Retrogaming Roundup is great right from the start.

PoloPlayr
17-03-09, 12:06
Listened to most of it in bed last night and will do the same shortly tonight again.

Absolutely cracking episode, chaps! And as Bill mentioned, it's even more enjoyable than the first one.

I laughed so much at the MegaDrive or Genesis quiz bit. :)

Many thanks from London.

JoeJet
18-03-09, 05:51
Thanks guys for putting this together... i never got around to listening to episode 1 so i am sort of skipping through 6 hours of time...

I am focusing on the pinball segments for now, and Scott, please keep those coming! I would like to hear more on the technical side but enjoyed your discussion with miner this morning.

I would have to add - to the newb, the fear of having to "maintain" a pin can be a negative towards a purchase, but once you delve into clay's pinrepair site as you mention - the maintenance portion can actually be MORE fun than collecting and playing! I am in the process of a complete strip/restore of my first pin, Road Show, and it is just awesome getting to know how a pin works.

While i have purchased some higher priced pins, i am seeing myself selling those off for space so that i can get some project pins to work on.

To answer miners quesiton on "what pin to buy" for a newb...i would limit myself to a 90's pin for simple fact that parts are readily available, discussions on repair are detailed, and you get the full experience of a "modern" pin with dmd, ramps etc...

Flare
18-03-09, 06:43
Regarding scoring in recent pinballs. Theatre of Magic for instance, is a big offender. It's an awesome pinball, but the scoring is ridiculous. You can easily make 200 million points in your first ball, and an average game is between 600 and 900 million. Insane.

For a change, try NBA Fastbreak. I love the scoring on that one; it's just like in a basketball game, you score 1, 2 or 3 points at a time. Achieving over 100 points in a game is challenging.

NBA Fastbreak is also a terrific pin, It has a flipper inside the backglass that you use for "free shots". Pretty wacky.

http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/4023/image-8.jpg

alyinsanfran
18-03-09, 07:11
Really really good show guys. Length is not a problem, just keep it coming (as the actress said to the bishop).

readboy
18-03-09, 07:38
Just finished listening to episode 2. Just wanted to say thanks for all of your collective efforts in producing an entertaining and informative show.

Like the editoral on piracy, I agree that if I've paid before on a different formatr or it's just not available to buy in the UK, then I think it's fair game for a download.

I can't wait to hear / see the results for the peroxide gel experiments to see if those nasty yellowed C64/Amiga cases can be brought up like new. I certainly have a few machines that could do with some of that.

The music segment was also enjoyable, but come on guys Monty should have been top 3 and where the heck was Paperboy, best arcade tune ever.

IG-88
19-03-09, 10:31
I have to say this show was even better!

UK Mike: Did you get abused with a Sega Genesis when you were a kid? Maybe your father beat you with the controller or something...Other than that your segments are great. There is so much about the European game scene that I've missed and would like to learn.

SoCal Mike: I love the auction news and updates, wasn't sure on the voice thing tho. First thing that came to mind when I heard it was "I hope he's not gonna do the whole segment like that". Good info tho...
I really loved the It came from Mame segment! There is nobody out there audio reviewing classic or obscure arcade games. This needs to be done. I will go out and try that Cosmic Gorilla tonite. I think I've played that before and if I remember right it was a pretty good game. There are so many good, old arcade games that have been overlooked...Perhaps for future shows you can give a little more technical specs on the machine/game in review? Or more past history? I'd be glad to help out if I could.

SubaruBrat: Thank-you for answering my question on the MegaTouch! That went way over what I was expecting! As a follow-up to the problem, I posted on the rec.games.video.arcade.collecting group my prob and had a guy tell me to actually "shake" the machine to see what fell out of it. Well, believe it or not out came the missing chip. I had even removed and replaced the mobo earlier that day and never saw it. I just popped it back in and away it went! Amazing! Been playing it every nite since.
I do like your idea on an upgrade kit tho. I think you said sub $50 for it. I will go back thru the show and see if I can find where you said to look for one.

Again great show. Keep up the good work.

SubaruBrat
20-03-09, 02:20
I see them at arcade auctions all the time, ebay would be a possible source as well.

Waterborn
21-03-09, 04:59
Great show once again gentlemen. Thanks to SoCal Mike for the mention about 2old2play. I look forward to working with you to cross-promote our Communities. For those of you who are unfamiliar with 2old2play, be sure to check out my new article on classic gaming culture now up on the front page at www.2old2play.com. Ypu could win some very cool classic gaming swag from CTCW.

Keep the great content coming via RGRU!

teknohed
25-03-09, 06:27
I love these five hour long shows. They last me 2.5 bike rides too and from work.

I have a few comments, maybe there is a better place to post this, I'll look around and might post similar stuff again.

1. It's pretty obvious to me that the hosts of Retro Gaming Round Up (who I love, don't get me wrong) don't work in the video game industry. For instance their discussion of Gabe Newel's comments on video game pricing was a little uninformed. They were comparing video games to DVD and CD sales. Even bringing up the cost of media vs the cost of old cartridge roms. But the thing is that a DVD comes out after the movie production companies have already made money on the theatrical release, it's ADDITIONAL revenue. Also, with CDs, the artist makes money on concert ticket sales and other merchandise. But a video game makes the majority of it's money in it's first week of release. Games cost a LOT to make on the new consoles (even the Wii in some cases) and the only way to make that money back is to charge a *%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*& ton right from the outset. Now do I think 20 games would sell more? But there are a lot more DVD players and CD players out there in the wild than there are video game machines and unfortunatly I don't think the market penetration is high enough to make 20 dollar new release games something that you could make money off of.

2. Piracy, I'd have to say the same thing. I think that maintaining back ups and ensure that abandoned games are preserved is a good thing. I also don't see anything wrong with using a back up system in the way that Scott described, where he uses the R4 so that he doesn't have to carry around a bunch of DS carts to work. But what I did have a problem with was the "I've already bought it" defense. I mean yeah, I've bought Galaga a few times myself. But doesn't Namco deserve to be paid for bringing Galaga to a new console like the XBox or the iPhone? Maybe the price isn't right, so don't buy it, but I think a company has a right to expect to be paid for re released games, otherwise these companies will go out of business.

3. Finally, I am an American and I totally agree with UK Mike that Monty on the Run is FAR superior to M.U.L.E. in terms of music. I like MULE better as a game, but the music in MULE is pretty bad.

4. Also, I wish that So Cal and Scott would start obnoxiously bringing up the Timex Sinclair, the TRUE red blooded american version of the ZX-81 to make up for all his Genesis / Mega Drive non-sense.

miner2049er
25-03-09, 07:34
1. It's pretty obvious to me that the hosts of Retro Gaming Round Up (who I love, don't get me wrong) don't work in the video game industry.

You're right there.

I think our problem was that a game that has a weekend's play time should not cost $60, and I would stand by that. If it takes a team of 200 people 12 months to make a game that plays for that long then the system is screwed and should get back to basics. Make some games with people who have a vested interest in its success and make something that I will still want to play over 20 years later.

But what I did have a problem with was the "I've already bought it" defense. I mean yeah, I've bought Galaga a few times myself. But doesn't Namco deserve to be paid for bringing Galaga to a new console like the XBox or the iPhone?

My point wasn't "don't bring Mappy to the DS" my point was don't expect me to pay for the crappy port you made on the DS, I'm gonna play Mappy the way it should be played, on my cab at full resolution with no resizing and compromised controls. The fact that my cab is a MAME cab shouldn't matter to them. I am not depriving them of a sale by running Mappy on my MAME cab because I wouldn't have bought their crappy port anyway.

We even went so far as to say, if they make a port to a modern console and do it well and do the game justice we wouldn't have a problem buying it.

I think you just got the wrong end of the stick there.

3. Finally, I am an American and I totally agree with UK Mike that Monty on the Run is FAR superior to M.U.L.E. in terms of music. I like MULE better as a game, but the music in MULE is pretty bad.

I think you are a genius. :) I hope you voted in the Top Ten Poll too.

4. Also, I wish that So Cal and Scott would start obnoxiously bringing up the Timex Sinclair, the TRUE red blooded american version of the ZX-81 to make up for all his Genesis / Mega Drive non-sense.

LOL. That won't get to me though, Sinclair is not a company my British pride extends to.

SubaruBrat
26-03-09, 02:30
don't work in the video game industry. For instance their discussion of Gabe Newel's comments on video game pricing was a little uninformed. They were comparing video games to DVD and CD sales. Even bringing up the cost of media vs the cost of old cartridge roms. But the thing is that a DVD comes out after the movie production companies have already made money on the theatrical release, it's ADDITIONAL revenue.

Dude, fair points, and in all honesty I did not think of those points, but at the same time I can't arbitrarily agree with them. I think Miner has a good point about the production cost. That is why we went for that topic. Good debate and new points of view.

I do stand by my point of the I already bought it six *%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&in times. You might have misunderstood my point or I might have not explained it well. Either one is fair game. The point I was making is that lets say I buy A galaga machine, the Atari console releases, NES releases etc. Then I load an emulator for mame and NES on my iPhone. Am I really taking money out of someone's pocket? Or am I using what I already bought? I don't mean to say it is OK to rip off an iPhone specific new release of Galaga. I paid for my Missile command on the iPhone, and I have the arcade machine, console releases etc. Even though I can play it 3 ways on the iPhone I bought the iPhone release because it was good. If it stank and I didn't buy it but ran MAME and NES emus they would argue I didn't because I had those options.

LOL. That won't get to me though, Sinclair is not a company my British pride extends to.

Yes he also loves Lucas Electrics, the leading reason British cars won't start or stay running.

jakdin
27-04-09, 06:45
Hey guys! GREAT, GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate this show, and although I haven't finished ep2 yet, I am loving it.

Who does all of the "seemingly professional" voice work for the intro audio clip? ;)

I liked the candid discussion on piracy. It's such a sensitive issue with so many people I enjoyed to hear your individual opinions on it. I have a coworker who is so tight on this issue, he won't loan folks DVDs or Music sometimes!!! Drives me batty.

The video game hunter was awesome, although it took a moment to get used to the "hunter voice" ... Makes me wish I lived in an area that had better swap-meets.

The prestel machine overview is really cool, UKMike! I love stories about older technology and how people used it and dealt with the unknown aspect of things when first confronted with it.

I'm looking forward to finishing the episode and then starting the April show!

Thank you all for the shows!

Joshua B
21-12-09, 02:26
Love the well-placed music, A-Ha's "Hunting High and Low."