PDA

View Full Version : What retro computers to you all prefer and play regularly?

GameGavel
17-02-09, 03:27
I play my Apple IIc and C64 pretty regularly. Also, get out my Timex Sinclair every once and a while.

nathanallan
17-02-09, 05:14
The last computers I broke out were the C64 and 800XL. Using the Genesis arcade stick makes a world of difference playing Galaxian, it rocks! I love the way the bugs like to hover and wait to be shot down!

chronodev
17-02-09, 08:23
Commodore 64

SubaruBrat
17-02-09, 06:26
I mainly run C64s. I have one that is the C64 on a chip, it is inside a small case with the 1541 emulator. Uses a PS2 KB and works great.

The other is my main workhorse. I set it up with an SD card as a hard drive using a MMC64, currently running 4gb, Ethernet, MP3, and a modem port via the silver surfer. I also have it linked with a PC so I can write disks from the PC to the 1541 or directly from the C64 using the MMC64.

Harmik
22-02-09, 06:37
Atari XL/XE

readboy
23-02-09, 08:24
An Atari 65XE and a ZX Spectrum+

miner2049er
23-02-09, 09:36
a ZX Spectrum+

Mine is under a table leg to stop it rocking. It doesn't even do that properly.

Ransom
23-02-09, 11:34
Only the 800XL. There's just not room for the Apple //c I'd really love to have out -- and it's the most compact Apple ][ model!

alyinsanfran
27-02-09, 01:14
One thing I hated doing when I moved to the States was having to leave behind so much stuff. Motorbike, surfboards, fly fishing gear, books, magazines and my Sega SC3000.

I wish there was emulation for the SG/SC on the PSP. Sigh.

limedarren
01-03-09, 11:41
c64 and speccy - since i worked out how to emulate them on a Nintendo DS

Trooper
10-03-09, 01:44
Atari 800 of course :)

Alyinsanfran: I'll sell you an expensive SC-3000H if you want? Brand new in box ;) :)

Turbo2Xs
22-03-09, 01:50
I pretty much stick with the C64 and Amiga when it comes to computer emulation.

I mainly run C64s. I have one that is the C64 on a chip, it is inside a small case with the 1541 emulator. Uses a PS2 KB and works great.

The other is my main workhorse. I set it up with an SD card as a hard drive using a MMC64, currently running 4gb, Ethernet, MP3, and a modem port via the silver surfer. I also have it linked with a PC so I can write disks from the PC to the 1541 or directly from the C64 using the MMC64.Dang! That's sweet!

c64 and speccy - since i worked out how to emulate them on a Nintendo DSSomething I'm going to look into but I hear that the C64 emulation is rather spotty. Perhaps on the DSi and it's faster processor...

Alyinsanfran: I'll sell you an expensive SC-3000H if you want? Brand new in box ;) :)Lol! Atleast you're upfront about it! Great avatar btw :PK

Harmik
22-03-09, 04:08

Alyinsanfran: I'll sell you an expensive SC-3000H if you want? Brand new in box ;) :)

I used to own a Computer store in Australia and one of the computers I sold was the SC-3000/3000H would not mind one new in the box but I just spent $1200 AU on a new Vectrex.

Trooper
23-03-09, 09:28
Lol! Atleast you're upfront about it! Great avatar btw :PK

Haha, yeah well I won't sell it for cheap so why beat around the bush about it :) It's a great machine and like I said brand new never opened :)

I used to own a Computer store in Australia and one of the computers I sold was the SC-3000/3000H would not mind one new in the box but I just spent $1200 AU on a new Vectrex.

If I'm not misinformed this machine came out of Australia :) It is the Yenobranded SC3000H. Can't blame you for buying Vectrexstuff, that is one heck of a fun machine too! :)

Harmik
23-03-09, 09:52
Australian units were John Sands, don't know where Yeno came from but I did see someone selling a bunch of them on ebay not that long ago. It runs the SG-1000 stuff so there are some great games for it, a good site to check out for it is SC-3000 Survivors. :)

Trooper
24-03-09, 09:09
Of course you're right, I must have been temporarily insane when I wrote that :) Yeno is of course a french brand so these units probably came out of France. Yeno also did other licensed machines apart from the SC3000's like the Super Cassette Vision and a couple of MSX machines I think.

Edit: oh and SC-3000 Survivors (http://www.sc-3000.com/) seems to be a great site, thanks for the tip!

g-man
25-03-09, 04:41
If I'm emulating computers, it's gotta be the BBC and Archimedes.

Using VirtualA5000 for the Arc and BeebEM for the BBC.

Top quality platforms. :-)

Still-Stompin'
29-03-09, 12:17
Commodore 64. It has it's place right next to my PC and I'm using it quite often, mainly with my 1541 Ultimate (what a great device!!!!) Ethernet is not 100% yet, but it sure will be in near future :)

Harmik
29-03-09, 04:11
Another good system was the Spectravideo SV-328, I got one of those when it first came out with the expansion unit and floppy drive. A very underrated system it was a kind of MSX computer a bit before the MSX came out. Very well built and solid there is a good website on it. http://www.samdal.com/spectravideo.htm

Cobra
16-04-09, 09:52
While I don't play the C64 anymore it'll never be forgotten. Hell I still listen to C64 tunes. :)

innercitygoods
17-04-09, 04:43
I never had a C64 or any of those *sniff*. Believe it or not (and I am so going to date myself here), the first computer I (or, rather we) had at home was an IBM 5100. Um, that's a mini, BPC (Before PC). And on weekends, my big fun was hanging out in the DPC at IBM, where I was allowed to "play" in there all by myself on all the mainframes, keypunches, etc.

That was my first business, as a matter of fact...at the age of 6, I started running off keypunch "IBM cards" with one-liners, knock-knock jokes, and people's names (special order) and selling them at school and out in the parking lot at the local shopping center. Mind you, this was still the 60s (barely), so these things were like little alien doodads to most people, something they had never seen. Cost? $0.25 each, $1.00 each for special order.

And that's when a Hershey bar (a BIG one, not like the ones they have today) was $0.05 and Bazooka Joe was still a penny.

Those were the days.

otaku
16-05-09, 06:33
I need to get some of this old hardware-my amiga cd32 is basically an amiga 1200 I think? Think I'll go for an old atari or apple or both when I have some space and can get one cheap/free

garethpeterkennerley
22-05-09, 11:45
I try and use a different console every week just shove iut under the TV set up ready to play - It's strange but I seem to mainly enjoy playing the systems that have the the shortest games - Something i can pick up for tenminutes and play an dthen put down. Quick game of pacman on the 2600 or quick blast on maybe something emulated on the orginal xbox.

I just dont have the time anymore when i come home from work to actually site down and concentrate for several hours - Always something to be done.

So under my tv at the moment there's a 20 in 1 intelliviosn thingy, the orginal xbox modded and a 2600 with a couple of games knocking aorund

klm1974
28-07-09, 12:06
TI-99/4A (Texas Instruments for those who are not familiar)

C64 (when I first had one it was with the C-128... which was nice for the 80 columns in the C-128 mode for use in terminal programs.. like novaterm 128, but C-64 mode for nearly everything else.)

Amiga 1200

These were my first three computers.. and I still use them on occasion. My 1200 is networked including Amiga samba.. when it is hooked up I will IRC or play games from it.. There is an IRC client called Wookie Chat for Amiga only that I wish had a port to Linux or Windows!

I still have atari 8-bit computers, apple II's, trs-80 coco's, and some 386/486 boxes for old PC games among other things.

I used to have a lot more computers in my collection, some really obscure..
I remember when I had some DECmate computers there was a text game that was like a 4-player steeple chase.. I remember playing it atleast once with my neices/nephews.. so even text based action games can be amusing ;)

:PH

teknohed
29-07-09, 07:29
My first computer was the original Compaq. My dad brought it home around '83 or so. So I started off playing GATO, Flight Simulator, and Kings Quest.

My dad had some sort of time share mainframe computer at his office before that where I played text games like dnd and what not.

To answer the question, I'd have to go with Commodore. No one I knew growing up had a Spectrum. But I did have friends with Atari 800s, C64s, and Apple IIs and I always thought the C64s had the best games.

Never used them for computing, you know spread sheets and stuff. I would have to guess that my compaq would have been better at that stuff anyway.

ScottAwesome
31-10-09, 04:15
A Colecovision ADAM computer. Amazingly it is still in great condition and works well, although I rarely fire it up......I remember making some really crappy programs using BASIC and I played the heck out of the pack-in game "Buck Rogers and the Planet of Zoom".....did anybody else on here have the ADAM?

CinemaslaveJoe
01-11-09, 01:46
I *dreamed* of owning an Adam! I asked for Adam for Christmas one year, and actually felt gyped when Santa brought me a Commodore 64 instead. :) Of course, I grew to love that C64 in no time at all.

I've heard so many bad things about the durability of the Adam that I'm actually surprised (and pleased) to hear that yours is still working. It seemed like a fun machine. I wanted one terribly in the mid-80s, but I've managed to survive without one in the intervening years.

-CSJ

SubaruBrat
01-11-09, 03:50
A local toy store (Kay Bee I think) had them on clearance for just a few bucks in the late 80's. I already had my "old" Coleco so I didn't bite. This same store also participated in the relaunch of the Atari 2600 as the 2600 Jr in their under $50 bucks campaign though and I bought two new 2600s and a pile of games for not much cash. I was able to rebuild my collection that had been lost or tossed over the mid 80's. I still have those games today.

CinemaslaveJoe
10-11-09, 02:17
Pretty sweet deals! We had a KayBee near us as well, and I bought a ton of Intellivision games for a few bucks each in the late '80s. (I found a used Intellivision at a yard sale for two bucks around 1987, and was able to greatly increase my game collection for hardly any cash.)

-CSJ

SubaruBrat
10-11-09, 02:28
Did they have those dollar disks that had the apple version on one side and the C64 version on the other? I bought some great games and some turds that way.

Funspot72
26-01-10, 09:17
The retro computer I prefer is the one I grew up on, the TI 99/4A. I played games like Hunt The Wumpus and Munchman on it. As well as programming on the TI's Basic Program. I always loved the TI's welcome screen with the little beep at the beginning. Blue screen with color bars at the top and bottom of the screen, ah memories!

Funspot72