PDA

View Full Version : BMX Flyer (Grandstand)

dhenniga
30-01-09, 03:10
Hi all,

I'm currently working on the version of BMX Flyer for Windows. It's a straight port from the original handheld with the original graphics. I'll post it up when it's finished.

GameGavel
30-01-09, 03:19
Very cool. Keep us all posted and update us on the progress. What was your reason for picking that game to bring back?

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/BMXF.htm

dhenniga
31-01-09, 12:33
I think it's one of the best handheld games ever made. Crisp, clear backlit LCD screen, simple and well used controls and incredible gameplay. I also got it for my birthday this year (along with Grandstand's "Astro Wars"). It's actually nearly finished so I'll post up the SWF file (all done in Flash) and I'd love to hear your opinions.

miner2049er
01-02-09, 01:37
I see a mini review on the cards.

retrohead
12-02-09, 06:14
I'm looking forward to seeing this.

I would also like to ask if there is any chance you could send me a graphics package for the sprites you have used etc. I would really like to remake this for the Nintendo DS.

dhenniga
16-03-09, 11:37
Sorry about the delay on this. I got really busy with another project but thankfully George and BillytheRobot got it finished.

http://george-gardiner.org/default.aspx?a=bmxflyer

Enjoy!!

PS: Retrohead, there's no problem in giving you the graphics. They're all in vector format (Flash) and perfectly scalable for the DS screen. Let me know if you're still interested.

GameGavel
17-03-09, 01:27
WOW! Absolutely beautiful. I will make sure to mention this on our April podcast. Now we need an Iphone version :) :)

dhenniga
18-03-09, 12:23
Thanks. I was a labour of love. Unfortunately, an iPhone version would doomed from the word go as I feel that you need to see what's on the screen and having your fingers obstructing the game is only a hindrance to gameplay. We are working on a highscore system for it so look for an update and I'd like to see you guys beat my scores (although I've been testing the game for a while so you don't stand a chance).

GameGavel
18-03-09, 12:43
Don't rule it out , those Iphone games are making people rich right now. If I had any programming knowledge I would be making a game for that platform NOW. But I don't so oh, well. There are lots of Game and Watch style games on it right now. They shrink the playfield a bit and have some overlapping controls or controls off to the lower corners and they work great with still a plenty big enough screen to see the action. Just a thought :)

dhenniga
15-04-09, 02:00
Wow, I got reviewed on the show, excellent. I'm glad you liked it, we put a lot of effort in getting it as close to the original game as possible. Man, I'd love to get it on iPhone but I really can't see it working with the control issues. I wouldn't want to put out a game that suffered in any way, especially in the controls because then it becomes frustrating.

On a different note, theres a pool game called "Virtual Pool" which originally was made for the PC (DOS) and was a cracking game and a very realistic simulator. The amazing thing about the iPhone version is it's the first game I've played with two-player online support. The game itself is a little twitchy but if you get used to it, it's an incredible game and I'd say well worth a look (if you like pool simulators).

Again, thanks for the review, it made my day.

dhenniga
19-04-09, 01:34
Why are these forums so dead?

GameGavel
19-04-09, 04:22
Why are these forums so dead?

The activity kinda comes and goes. We've had lots of new forum signups though. Come'on people let's talk us some gaming !!