PDA

View Full Version : Premier Episode #1 February 2009

GameGavel
08-01-09, 03:18
Coming in February!:SONRUN:

Chewieshmoo
08-01-09, 10:53
Looking forward to it! Hope you remind/inform us all by Email when it premiers! THANKS!

IG-88
11-01-09, 06:05
Can't wait to hear this Mike! Should be a nice replacement to Retro Gaming Radio!

bill_loguidice
13-01-09, 06:19
Good luck guys!

Flare
13-01-09, 08:53
I'll sure be listening ;)

pats1717
13-01-09, 09:26
good luck Mike + company

GameGavel
15-01-09, 03:22
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?p=84002#post84002

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/teknohed/retro-gaming-radio-is-dead-long-live-retro-gaming-roundup-117924.phtml

pats1717
15-01-09, 04:25
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?p=84002#post84002

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/teknohed/retro-gaming-radio-is-dead-long-live-retro-gaming-roundup-117924.phtml

congrats mike!

miner2049er
18-01-09, 12:25
The RSS feed is now up with a teaser for you.

Just waiting for it to show up in iTunes

http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/rss

Libsyn are having issues so if that fails try the direct link here

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/episodes2009.html

GameGavel
30-01-09, 02:10
Hey Everyone,

We are only a couple more segments short of a full show. So won't be too much longer now.

I had a great interview you won't want to miss, with Phil Adam. Phil was co-founder of Spectrum Holobyte (GATO, Tetris) in 1983 and was the guy responsible for bringing Tetris to U.S. shores and eventually helped Nintendo nab the killer ap for the Gameboy. He was also President of Interplay in the 90's and brought out hits like Bard's Tale & Battle Chess. Don't miss it.

We also had a great time recording our Top-10 list and we are sure it will start stirring up some forum discussions.

Reignite your "RetroGaming" fire with RetroGamingRoundup.com.
Monthly classic gaming Retrotainment delivered monthly to your favorite mp3 player.

The Premier Episode Coming Soon !

GameGavel
31-01-09, 10:45
One of our new promos :DKB

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/promorgr.mp3

miner2049er
01-02-09, 01:11
The new teaser is up.

http://retrogamingroundup.libsyn.com/

GameGavel
06-02-09, 01:56
We wrapped our final segment of our #1 podcast today. So should be hitting you by sometime mid February. We hope you will all have just as much fun listening to it as we had putting it altogether.

I will warn you all in advance, it's gonna be a long show. So you will have plenty to listen to all month long :)

Now, to start finishing up our March episode:PH

SubaruBrat
06-02-09, 03:36
He isn't kidding either. As we think of ideas things are already being recorded and new features added, we have plans for most shows out through the summer for some segments.

SubaruBrat
11-02-09, 04:00
Ready for download at the website, on the feeds soon! Go and get it boys!

bill_loguidice
11-02-09, 04:16
I'd like to both retrieve it and blog about it, but it's not clear to me where the show is. Can you kindly provide a link?

SubaruBrat
11-02-09, 04:18
Check our website here; http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/

Just look under 2009 roundups and then Feb. RSS and iTunes should be active momentarily.

bill_loguidice
11-02-09, 04:33
Thanks, that worked. Beefy 150MB file. Congrats. I also blogged about it on the front page of my Website. I'm going to try and listen now at work... ;-)

SubaruBrat
11-02-09, 04:39
Got a few hours? :DKB

Flare
11-02-09, 06:11
It's our longest episode ever!!! :D

miner2049er
11-02-09, 06:36
Thanks, that worked. Beefy 150MB file. Congrats. I also blogged about it on the front page of my Website. I'm going to try and listen now at work... ;-)

Thanks for the support Bill.

Oh, BTW, you're in it. ;)

Flare
11-02-09, 07:51
Bill came up with the great name "Bits & Bytes" for the news section of RGR. Maybe he can name RGRUp's segment too :)

SubaruBrat
11-02-09, 08:37
We already have some things going on that internally.

miner2049er
11-02-09, 08:45
Bill came up with the great name "Bits & Bytes" for the news section of RGR. Maybe he can name RGRUp's segment too :)

So long as he suggests the same name we already picked yeah, Bill can name it.

Bill, it's called News.

:)

Flare
11-02-09, 09:00
Yeah, I was just kidding about that part :o

chronodev
11-02-09, 09:35
Great podcast, listened to it at work.

Keep up the good work.

Also thanks for the plugin

Chewieshmoo
11-02-09, 11:15
Listening now, great background as I bounce around the web today! Thanks!

miner2049er
12-02-09, 12:21
Great podcast, listened to it at work.

Keep up the good work.

Also thanks for the plugin

No problem, spread the good news. :)

chronodev
12-02-09, 12:58
No problem, spread the good news. :)

I'll be sure to post it on my forums

Chewieshmoo
12-02-09, 06:02
Cool Mike, FYI I just uploaded my latest video and I mention the new podcast as well as put a link in my comments description! Just a little help I hope to promote the new show! You can view at link below, I was giving a shout out to all my current subscribers and took the opportunity to mention a couple sites inlcuding your new podcast, it's 10 minutes so if you prefer to skip the boring part just go to about 7 minutes in to hear what I had to say about the podcast...................
http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWl4zr1pTQ&fmt=18)

readboy
14-02-09, 04:35
After being a long time listener to 'the other show'; which I hasten to add I was very sad to see finish, I must congratulate you all on a very entertaining few hours of retro goodness. It was also great to hear an english presenter, Mike your introduction was hilarious (what is Genesis again ?) and nice pick on Ferrari 355, a great driving sim.

I think my only real issue was that the volume levels between different segments was quite up and down, hopefully you can work these kinks out for show number two.

Anyway just to wrap up, keep up the good work and I look forward to the next episode.

bill_loguidice
15-02-09, 12:03
This was definitely something else. A very impressive and ambitious first effort. I'm actually even more curious about how episode two will turn out, as I'm wondering how the immense energy and enthusiasm and new ideas that went into the premiere episode will translate to a "regular" second effort. Hopefully with so many of you guys doing it, there will be far less of a chance of burnout that has befallen so many other efforts. Thanks again guys!

miner2049er
15-02-09, 01:29
Mike your introduction was hilarious (what is Genesis again ?)

Thank you, and about that, find out on next month's show. ;)

I think my only real issue was that the volume levels between different segments was quite up and down, hopefully you can work these kinks out for show number two.

Yeah, we're thinking how best to get around that.

This was definitely something else. A very impressive and ambitious first effort.

Thanks Bill.

I'm actually even more curious about how episode two will turn out, as I'm wondering how the immense energy and enthusiasm and new ideas that went into the premiere episode will translate to a "regular" second effort.

Well hopefully quite well Bill as some of it is already in the bag, in fact we have material recorded for shows into the summer.

The great thing about this being a joint effort is that we keep each other honest and if only two show up "for work" one month a show still gets made.

I think the round tables we record together make the whole thing enjoyable, for me anyway, and that keeps it fresh and enthusiastic.

As far as I know none of us have ever met, we hope to someday but it may never happen, yet as soon as we get together on Skype and Scott starts harping on about US airplanes winning WW2 and SoCalMike gets onto spelling "center" as "centre" and I remind them of the bush years, something happens and we just start shooting the breeze like we were old buddies.

I think the show will bring you what you're looking for so stick around.

SubaruBrat
15-02-09, 02:33
Right on with everything Miner said. What your hearing is us, the way we are. The future shows may refine technically as we sort out things, but the banter, our energy, and the way we work is just who we are. I think you all will be pleased in the future.

GameGavel
15-02-09, 02:50
Ditto, ditto & more ditto :)

PoloPlayr
17-02-09, 11:52
Just finished listening to the first episode and can only congratulate you on a might fine initial production.

Personally I absolutely love the hefty length of the show and can only hope it is here to stay for quite some time.

Best of luck and many thanks for your efforts!

miner2049er
17-02-09, 12:02
Personally I absolutely love the hefty length of the show and can only hope it is here to stay for quite some time.

Thanks for your kind words.

It seems there is no happy medium about the shows length.

Some love it, some hate.

I guess all we can do is put it out there.

black flag nc
17-02-09, 05:19
Great first show guys. Keep it up!

GameGavel
17-02-09, 05:29
Great first show guys. Keep it up!

Thanks. It was fun making it as well. And don't worry about the shows, as we are constantly adding content well in to May right now :)

PoloPlayr
18-02-09, 01:40
Probably silly to ask already but when do you aim to have the next show out? I.e. with what frequency are you hoping the show will be released?

GameGavel
18-02-09, 02:01
Probably silly to ask already but when do you aim to have the next show out? I.e. with what frequency are you hoping the show will be released?

Once a month :) No seriously, we are shooting to have a new show out by the 15th of each month.

jellyworld
19-02-09, 12:42
The show was pretty good, although I noticed Flare needs to do a better job editing out anything too vulgar. Like the instance where Miner said he didn't like Defender for the 2600. I mean is that even allowed in a podcast? I can't even let the family listen now.

miner2049er
19-02-09, 10:15
The show was pretty good, although I noticed Flare needs to do a better job editing out anything too vulgar. Like the instance where Miner said he didn't like Defender for the 2600. I mean is that even allowed in a podcast? I can't even let the family listen now.

I mentioned George W Bush too.

Sorry. Hush my mouth.

SubaruBrat
19-02-09, 02:59
I mentioned George W Bush too.

Don't worry, we have gone from bad to worse. Not that Gordon Brown was a prize.

miner2049er
19-02-09, 04:07
Don't worry, we have gone from bad to worse. Not that Gordon Brown was a prize.

Or as Clarkson refers to him "The one eyed Scottish idiot."
for which he later apologised and recanted the one eyed Scottish bit.

Flare
19-02-09, 05:35
Like the instance where Miner said he didn't like Defender for the 2600.
He prefers Bubble Bobble on the SMS... what did you expect? :D

stturner
19-02-09, 08:24
I finally finished the first episode and overall I like what you guys did. It was very entertaining and informative. At first I thought the "Genesis is a Band" would get old, but the more I heard it the funnier it got to me for some reason. Only negative I have is some information was repeated in different segments, but this is a minor thing and I am sure with the shorter length shows it will not be an issue.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait til the next one.

miner2049er
19-02-09, 08:45
I finally finished the first episode and overall I like what you guys did.

Thank you.

At first I thought the "Genesis is a Band" would get old, but the more I heard it the funnier it got to me for some reason.

I thought maybe I pushed it a little LOL.

Only negative I have is some information was repeated in different segments, but this is a minor thing and I am sure with the shorter length shows it will not be an issue.

What was repeated exactly? I don't recall.

I can't wait til the next one.

Neither can I and I've heard it twice. :)

Flare
19-02-09, 09:33
What was repeated exactly? I don't recall.I think it's some of the Pinball news which were mentioned by Scott during the HWFB segment.

miner2049er
19-02-09, 10:46
Aaaah ok.

So it was one of the American presenters then? Figures. LOL.

SubaruBrat
20-02-09, 12:57
Only negative I have is some information was repeated in different segments, but this is a minor thing and I am sure with the shorter length shows it will not be an issue.

That is one of the few pitfalls compared to the many benefits of panel discussions. There were a few bits that were relevant to our discussion that were also covered in solo segments. I think some pinball and GP legends got mentioned twice but we will work though that.

stturner
20-02-09, 04:55
That is one of the few pitfalls compared to the many benefits of panel discussions. There were a few bits that were relevant to our discussion that were also covered in solo segments. I think some pinball and GP legends got mentioned twice but we will work though that.

I was actually referring to the Iphone review. One segment talked about the game being released soon and another segment reviewed the game. It really was not a big deal and did not take away from the show. Just might have shaved off 10 minutes or so :-)

Just keep doing what you are doing and I will keep listening.

limedarren
20-02-09, 05:14
i noticed that Genisis was refered to as a band... I think you are mistaken a bit there.....Genisis is the name of a '*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&e' band.

miner2049er
20-02-09, 09:27
I was actually referring to the Iphone review. One segment talked about the game being released soon and another segment reviewed the game. It really was not a big deal and did not take away from the show. Just might have shaved off 10 minutes or so :-)

Just keep doing what you are doing and I will keep listening.

Aaah right, we switched iPhone reviews late on as SoCalMike had a scoop on the pre-release version of vector Tanks so we wouldn't have realised it would be in the show.

readboy
21-02-09, 12:24
Or as Clarkson refers to him "The one eyed Scottish idiot."
for which he later apologised and recanted the one eyed Scottish bit.

I thought he was very kind about Flash. :DKB

dsofrank
23-02-09, 07:53
Great stuff! Working my way through now. Thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into this...hope you can keep things rolling for a long time to come.

I'm actually looking forward to the drive home tonight so I can pick up where I left off with the show. Kudos to you guys!

GameGavel
25-02-09, 01:14
Great stuff! Working my way through now. Thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into this...hope you can keep things rolling for a long time to come.

I'm actually looking forward to the drive home tonight so I can pick up where I left off with the show. Kudos to you guys!

Thanks for the thumbs up. Glad you are enjoying it. :THANKYOU:

jboypacman
25-02-09, 01:26
Really enjoyed the podcast top to bottom it was nice for my drive to and from work.

Keep up the great work guys and i look forward to hearing the next one.:PAC

teknohed
02-03-09, 07:26
Personally, I don't really get why people would want a shorter podcast. We only get one a month, might as well be a long one. I guess that I could see the "segments" of this podcast being broken up into separate podcasts at some point. Say, a separate Hardware Flashback, or something like that if you really wanted to cut down on length.

But for someone who has a two hour bike commute to work, the first episode lasted me for a day and a half, which was a pretty nice companion on a cold and lonely bike path.

alyinsanfran
02-03-09, 08:41
It's taken we a long time but I'm almost finished. Question for SubaruBrat: Who's the 'piece of work' Australian you referred to re Pinball 2000? You said you were going to talk about him later, but unless I missed it (and I might have) you didn't get around to it.

Really really good effort guys.

Highlights for me:

Group discussions. You guys riff off each other really well. Good banter too.

Mike's 'live' mic' at the swap meet. That Entex find must have caused palpitations, it did to me!

The wee audio segue snippits. The old ads particularly. And where the hell did you find a guy with a voice like that announcer? Brilliant!

All in all a great show, I'm looking forward to the next.

IG-88
04-03-09, 09:06
Great show guys. I have to say I liked it even more than that other show ;) which I found quite surprising. Having Minor on the show is great. I love the dry sense of humor.

An idea for show topics may be arcade game reviews. The non-typical ones. I think there are alot of great games out there that have been overlooked.

Anyway again great job and another vote for long shows. How about 6 hrs?

GameGavel
04-03-09, 09:17
Great show guys. I have to say I liked it even more than that other show ;) which I found quite surprising. Having Minor on the show is great. I love the dry sense of humor.

An idea for show topics may be arcade game reviews. The non-typical ones. I think there are alot of great games out there that have been overlooked.

Anyway again great job and another vote for long shows. How about 6 hrs?

Speaking of Minor, please don't encourage him. And just wait, he only gets better.

Glad you enjoyed the show and we are quickly wrapping up the March ep so keep an eye out.:THANKYOU:

SubaruBrat
04-03-09, 11:51
One day I should publish Miner2049er's response when I asked him to come aboard.

trueyanksfan
05-03-09, 03:22
I listened to the "other show" for 8 years, lurked around the forums, but never posted. I am now posting to voice my appreciation for this show. I think the length is perfect as I can listen to segments over time. Two thumbs up for the little flashback commercial transitions as well. Keep up the good work. It is much appreciated!

GameGavel
05-03-09, 03:51
I listened to the "other show" for 8 years, lurked around the forums, but never posted. I am now posting to voice my appreciation for this show. I think the length is perfect as I can listen to segments over time. Two thumbs up for the little flashback commercial transitions as well. Keep up the good work. It is much appreciated!

You can hear a ton more of those commercials on http://www.retroarcaderadio.com :)

Trooper
10-03-09, 01:16
Well I've just listened to the entire first show and I must say Great stuff!

It really made it more fun to clean out the collection room :)

So what did I think of it? The newssection was great, I especially liked the way you went through the top 10 ugliest consoles list, laughed out loud a couple of times :) I am really looking forward to more pinball stuff, I just bought my first Pinball Machine and can't get the bastard to work so this should be interesting :)
Also enjoyed Miner's "Genesis is not a videogame it's a band" quite a lot.

All in all a great start, can't wait for the next episode!

By the way, on the list of the ugliest consoles there is a Philips Videopac that you said you thought looked a bit like the Odyssey 2. The reason for that is that the one he calls the "Videopac" in his list is actually the Philips Videopac G7200. The G7000 is the exact same machine as the Odyssey 2, the G7200 is a G7000 with a built in b&w monitor so you didn't have to hog the TV to get a quick gaming fix. There is also the N60 which is much like the G7200 but much smaller and with no video out. Then we have the G7400 that is an upgraded G7000 with better graphics, this one (and the G7200 and N60)were only released in Europe.

Also the Philips ES-2201 Tele-Spiel is a wonderful little machine, as was mentioned on the show this was one of the first, if not the first videogames with cartridges with games on them. Another cool thing about it is that the controllers hook up to the cartridge, not to the console itself. :)

Well, just wanted to say thanks and please keep 'em coming!

/Troop

Harmik
10-03-09, 02:33
The G7400 was what was going to be the Odyssey 3 in the USA :)

miner2049er
10-03-09, 03:05
I am really looking forward to more pinball stuff, I just bought my first Pinball Machine and can't get the bastard to work so this should be interesting :)

Well, you won't be disappointed with the March show. Plenty more pinball for you, and it may give you some tips on how to solve your problem.

Don't forget, if you have specific technical questions, especially pinball ones why not drop a quick email to techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com and Scott will answer them for you on the show. If you're quick enough, I know he is recording the segment today...............

Also enjoyed Miner's "Genesis is not a videogame it's a band" quite a lot.

Thanks, I have another segment this month that will be right up your street then.

Also the Philips ES-2201 Tele-Spiel is a wonderful little machine, as was mentioned on the show this was one of the first, if not the first videogames with cartridges with games on them. Another cool thing about it is that the controllers hook up to the cartridge, not to the console itself. :)

Thanks, some good background info there. Good to have you aboard.

Well, just wanted to say thanks and please keep 'em coming!

We will. :) Next one should be out this week.

Maybe. ;)

The G7400 was what was going to be the Odyssey 3 in the USA :)

Seems we have some knowledgable listeners on board. Enjoy the ride.

Trooper
10-03-09, 06:27
Well, you won't be disappointed with the March show. Plenty more pinball for you, and it may give you some tips on how to solve your problem.

Don't forget, if you have specific technical questions, especially pinball ones why not drop a quick email to techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com and Scott will answer them for you on the show. If you're quick enough, I know he is recording the segment today...............

Thanks, I have another segment this month that will be right up your street then.

Thanks, some good background info there. Good to have you aboard.

We will. :) Next one should be out this week.

Maybe. ;)

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the next show. I always enjoyed the Hardware stuff from RGR and it seems that there will be more of the same from RGRU :)

I was thinking about sending in a question but right now I don't really know what to ask :) I have a friend who's helping me out troubleshooting my pin, it's a lot of checking voltages at the moment and I haven't done that kind of stuff for years, kind of fun to relearn :)

Looking forward to your segment this month and I hope the next episode is out soon because I have a *%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&*%$#*&load of cleaning left to do and nothing to listen to :)

And expect me to come back with more information and "corrections" as the show goes on, I am quite a "know-it-all" so you'll probably become sick and tired of me in no time ;) I really enjoy the historical aspect so I have lots and lots of information tucked away in the back of my head. I'll try to snap some pictures of the ES-2201 too since I find it so cool that the controllers attaches to the cartridges :)

Byte Knight
13-03-09, 04:16
Great show guys! I think the length is perfect... How about doing some interviews with the guys who help keep this hobby alive like the guys that run Mike's Arcade, Arcadeshop, and Hobby Roms? Or how about the guy that created the new Donkey Kong levels?

IG-88
14-03-09, 01:23
Or how about interviewing Curt Vendel of Legacy Engineering Group who just released those new hack friendly Atari 2600 joysticks? (the classic USB controllers) Then ask him why mine have been on back order since Oct. '08. He won't answer my emails.

bill_loguidice
14-03-09, 02:04
Or how about interviewing Curt Vendel of Legacy Engineering Group who just released those new hack friendly Atari 2600 joysticks? (the classic USB controllers) Then ask him why mine have been on back order since Oct. '08. He won't answer my emails.

Curt Vendel. We're all waiting for our orders, but he's good for it. He recently had open heart surgery and is now back on track.

Harmik
14-03-09, 02:27
Curt has done a lot for the community and is someone I would trust, I would say just be patient it will get there. :)

mkohne
14-03-09, 09:39
I understand that you guys had a LOT to pack into the first episode, but can I make a hearty plea that you NEVER do a 5 hour episode again? That's just a pain in the neck to deal with, as I never want to listen to the whole thing in one go.

Perhaps next time you have several hours of material, you could split it up into several 1 to 1.5 hour shows? Please?

Otherwise, great show guys!

Trooper
15-03-09, 08:05
I've read on AA too that some people feel that 5h is to much, I can't understand that? I just put it on my PSP and listen whenever I have some time to kill. I really don't want 1h episodes, that would make waiting for the next one that much more frustrating.

miner2049er
15-03-09, 10:38
Well, I think people are in the mindset of podcasting which tends to be weekly, quickly grab it and go kind of shows. They forget they have a month to listen to us.

To help people out this time around we have put time stamps on the segments so they can break it up themselves.

I went back and did Episode 1 too.

The craziest thing is people asking us to be weekly but make shorter episodes.

Same content, same time period.

I don't get that.

Harmik
15-03-09, 11:41
I like the long show when I've had enough I just hit pause, I don't have a problem with that.

I just hope you don't burn out, if that was going to be the case then I will take what I can get. :)

SubaruBrat
15-03-09, 11:54
1. The pause button works
2. Splitting the show up into shorter shows means one would have this segment, another would have that, they wouldn't have the same identity and it just wouldn't be one show in the same way.

RCoehrs
29-03-09, 10:40
Wow. what perfect timing.
Being born in 82 I got the best of both worlds. I lived through the nintendo days and the perfect age when the Playstation launched. And now just about a year after getting into retro collecting I FIND THIS PODCAST. WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL STUFF.
It's so good I can't pick a favorite segment, I just smile the whoile way through. And suprise suprise just when I think I know it all a nugget of info I never knew, or a CONSOLE I never knew is dropped and then my jaw goes right down with it. Keep it up guys I am your biggest fan for sure, I eat the 5 hours like candy -Love from Ohio, Rob

GameGavel
29-03-09, 11:49
Thanks for the comments :) Are you registered on the auction site as well? Lots of great people to buy and sell with.